Can't be bothered to go cycling when it is cold outside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
As someone who has a bike as a means of transport and no car I ride every day for work and leisure, shopping etc. I have never considered any cycling specific clothing summer or any time of year. In winter I can recommend army surplus thermal stuff and light waterproofs, walking boots. Don't get wet or cold. If you are on a 2000 quid carbon thingy that is only bought to race about this probably isn't suitable though.

I nearly always enjoy once i'm out there it's just taking that mental step and getting my lazy ar$se outside, much much harder when it's cold.

Early mornings here it's foggy at present although that will clear in a few weeks and then it tends to be cold, dry but usually sunny which i really like.

Did buy some gloves this week though, never normally use them (hate gloves) so i must be getting nesh:cold:

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm out summer and winter, a couple of 50 - 60 mile rides a week most weeks.

I nearly always enjoy once i'm out there it's just taking that mental step and getting my lazy ar$se outside, much much harder when it's cold.

Early mornings here it's foggy at present although that will clear in a few weeks and then it tends to be cold, dry but usually sunny which i really like.

Did buy some gloves this week though, never normally use them (hate gloves) so i must be getting nesh:cold:
How high up do you get on the bike - say in January?

[It made me shiver just watching Kelderman descend off the Stelvio wearing just one layer - end of October!]

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Hasn't she moved to Edinburgh? That's the frozen north you know!

si_c

Guru
Hardest part of cycling in winter is leaving the house, after that it's just as much fun as riding in summer.

I've got quite a bit of thermal and wet weather gear now, which makes riding longer easier, but it's not essential and if you put flat pedals on and then go for a ride in regular clothes, that's perfectly acceptable too :okay:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hardest part of cycling in winter is leaving the house, after that it's just as much fun as riding in summer.

This, in spades.

But don't listen to all those that say they ride all year round. So what. Everyone is different. If you're not feeling it then don't beat yourself up about it. Its only a bike ride, nothing important. Ride & enjoy when you want.

si_c

Guru
If you're not feeling it then don't beat yourself up about it. Its only a bike ride, nothing important. Ride & enjoy when you want.
This pretty much, I'm trying to get out as much this winter as I would do in summer, but it's Wednesday and I've still not been out yet:laugh: Do I feel a little bad? Yeah a bit, but fsck it, it's cold outside :laugh:

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

Spend loads of money on cold weather specific gear, then you'll be excited to try the items out.
Only have summer kit for now, so for colder weather I wear normal clothes not cycling specific clothes. Winter gear isn't a financial priority at the moment.

Drago

Legendary Member
I was waiting for he 'proper cyclist' answers.
Each to his own. I suffer from muscular stiffness and my arthritis suffers if I get cold and so I stay home unless it's reasonably mild.
Arthritis is a funny game. Mine acts me up more if I miss a day riding that it does if I ride in a blizzard.

Top Bottom