cant work this out myself.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

Big boy

For the sensible replies thank you.

Dayvo

just passin' through
I don't think the OP came on here and expected to be criticised for not knowing how to work this out! He admitted he didn't know and asked for someome to explain to him.

Fortunately not all of us are geniuses.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
For those who want to discuss the state of education - there's a thread about iPads which has been diverted thereunto.

For those who wonder why some of us are raising our eyebrows - it's never too late to learn, and mental arithmetic is an important life skill. We can all multiply 2 by 3, and recognising why that's the appropriate calculation for the OP really should be in everyone's repertoire.

Dayvo

just passin' through
For those who want to discuss the state of education - there's a thread about iPads which has been diverted thereunto.

For those who wonder why some of us are raising our eyebrows - it's never too late to learn, and mental arithmetic is an important life skill. We can all multiply 2 by 3, and recognising why that's the appropriate calculation for the OP really should be in everyone's repertoire.

I agree that it's never too late to learn, and that having a basic understanding of simple mathematics is something that all of us ought to possess.

However, for all we know, the OP may suffer from dyscalculia (Numeric dyelxia), of which between 3- and 6% of the population suffer from.

I suffered with it at infant school in the sixties (although not too much was known about it then) but did develop a good understanding of basic arithmatic by the time I left junior school (mainly from my passion with cricket and learning about averages and other statistics). It didn't help that my father was an engineer and assigned me extra maths at home to 'help' me so as to not fall too far behind other pupils.

Ajay

Veteran
Never mind the arithmetic, I'm more interested why the OP is timing his neighbours runs!
Does he know you're doing this?
The mind boggles....

OK people he didn't even give enough information to make an assessment as to why he asked it.
Some of the assumptions were groundless, for example when did this turn into a running forum.

First off I can think of a couple of reason for talking about running here.
triathlon Involving cycling and running., swimming
Over all conditioning for endurance, Using other muscle groups that are not used when riding cycles. I can see this being handy in marathons.

Ever think that the runner was pacing himself, Maybe the runner is aware of the research related to over exerting the heart and cardiac arrest.. We just don't know. We lost a marathoner locally not too long ago, who destroyed his heart from over doing it. Perfectly healthy.

We do not know the reason behind the posters question other than the fact he couldn't figure it out, At least the OP was being more social about learning about it, rather than, being antisocial and going and doing everything alone by searching using internet.

This could be a good example of trying to force a mold on to someone else that may not work for them. Like telling them to go figure it out themselves. Maybe they don't process info that way we just don't know.

OP I would rather you ask a question, even if I might find it odd, In my book the only bad question is the question that never gets asked. Takes courage to admit you don't know something, especially in an environment that people criticize when its uncalled for.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Frankly, if I couldn't work out that two miles in 19 minutes was a bit over 6 mph I'd be ashamed to admit it. Mind you, I'd also be ashamed at writing "cant" when it should have been "Can't".
It's not "trying to force a mould on people", it's expecting that after someone's had 11 years of education, the faintest something might have stuck...

That's bit discriminatory, old chap.
OP did not, he was simply thanking, those who answered his question and showed the equation used. Why thank someone who gave you a criticizing comment with too little information? "Like go figure it out on your own." maybe math isn't one of the op strong suits.

He didn't exclude anyone from participating or called anyone names, or treated someone less favorably than another, etc

It would have been discriminatory to thank only one person and not all 5, when 5 answered the question, especially thanking after all 5 answers were posted. This is an example of treating someone less favorably than another.

example I just gave is Similar , BUT, not the same with your comment, where yours was referring to all people regardless to whether they answered the question or not, including those who only told OP to find out themselves or making comments about the poster that had nothing to do with answering the question.

Telling the op to go somewhere else to find out themselves was the exclusion
Question was posted in the "GENERAL CHAT" after all. If it had been in the branch related to family cycling, then pointing to the general chat as place to post it, would still included the OP if that had been the case.

---------------------------------
Following is related to a comment by another poster who was wondering, why you would want to know what your neighbor is doing.

It is a neighborly thing to do to keep track of one another where about, as they come and go, to ensure that if there was a change in their pattern, that you could be prompted to look to ensure they are ok and did not get injured while running/cycling etc.
Many people in the industrial world, forgot how to be good neighbors.

I know I would appreciate my neighbor looking out for my well being as the op was doing, Then we do not have enough information to make that assessment now do we?

If you have a worn key board or don't fully press the key things like (') could get left out. I know my keyboard is wearing out like my (6) and can't afford to replace it.

Or if your like me you have to look at the keyboard in order to get the right placement of keys. I can't remember the placement of keys unless prompted by a visual Que(looking at the key board) as an "adaptation"

Why do so many assume the worst? That is something wrong with the person? what of the lack of tolerance of those that are not the same as you?

When you made the direct reference to "cant" you were implying that the op "should" be more like you. That the OP "should be ashamed." we do not know why op left (') out to begin with.

What if the reason for the OP omission was like my keyboard example? If that had been the case then you unintentionally told the op to be ashamed for being poor and not being able to replace their keyboard.

So my question to the OP is why did you leave the (') out of the word can't?

Top Bottom