Car help question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GarryG

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone can give me any advice, my battery has packed up on my car.

RAC are quoting £156 to fit.

I can buy one from euro car parts for £53. Is it as straight forward as disconnecting the old one and connecting the new one?

Just for reference the car is a 2002 Citroen C5 2.2 HDI.

Garry

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Yes.

Just make sure you disconnect the earth lead first when you remove the old one and reconnect it last when you fit the new one. And if you wear a watch or any sort of metal bracelet on your wrist take them off first.

Must type faster.

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Just a thought...but was it RAC who diagnosed it themselves, or was it a contracted out company? Only ask because I've been duped before with a flat battery (left the lights on), when all it needed was jump. Probably worth a double check if you have leads and a friendly passer by or neighbour...

young Ed

Veteran
as said, remove earth/negative lead first (assuming it isn't a fair few years old and positive earth) and them positive and then just heave old battery out (warning it's heavy) and stick new one in it's place, positive on first then negative/earth
personally i like to put something water repellent but not a fire hazard (not oil or grease etc) but something like vaseline on them when installing to keep them corrosion free and dry :smile: although by no means essential

and just in case it doesn't have a - and + marked on the leads and you forget which lead was on which battery terminal it is blue for negative/earth and red for positive, simples :smile:

easier than driving the car! you will be glad you didn't pay the RAC £100 to do such a simple job ;)
Cheers Ed

vickster

Legendary Member
Last time I had a flat battery, the RAC chap fitted it for me. He even walked to the motor factors round the corner with me and carried the battery back to the car (heavy things) before fitting

OP
OP
GarryG

GarryG

Was pretty much flat yesterday, but managed to start it by bouncing on the clutch and it started without having to push, started fine after work, then again after another cold night this morning it wouldn't start, so I ended up taking the clio.

Top Bottom