Car insurance panic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
This is an issue these days with so much being done online, very few send you a hard copy certificate. I had a similar issue a few years ago when I couldn't remember who I was insured with. As DC said, they should have sent you a renewal policy but if you cancelled to previous one, you shouldn't get hit again this year.
You can usually request a hard copy :okay:

400ixl

There is a very good chance that it will auto renew if you do not notify them. The law changed quite a few years ago to make this a requirement unless you specifically tell them not to. It was to reduce the number of uninsured drives who forget to renew.

As for who you are insured with:
1. Check your emails as most insurers now send documents or links to get to documents this way.
2. Check your bank statements (this may tell you who, but won't give you a policy number)
3. If you believe you did it via a comparison site then check them and see if you can see something there
4. Wait for a renewal notification from them which could be via post or email and often in the last 30 to 10 days of a policy

You have 14 days after auto renewal to cancel provided you have not claimed, but you may face an administration fee.

As for keeping a print out of the certificate in the car, this is not advised as it gives any thief information which could allow them to evade the police if stopped. Much better to keep a PDF copy on your phone.

Good luck

There is a very good chance that it will auto renew if you do not notify them. The law changed quite a few years ago to make this a requirement unless you specifically tell them not to. It was to reduce the number of uninsured drives who forget to renew.

As for who you are insured with:
1. Check your emails as most insurers now send documents or links to get to documents this way.
2. Check your bank statements (this may tell you who, but won't give you a policy number)
3. If you believe you did it via a comparison site then check them and see if you can see something there
4. Wait for a renewal notification from them which could be via post or email and often in the last 30 to 10 days of a policy

You have 14 days after auto renewal to cancel provided you have not claimed, but you may face an administration fee.

As for keeping a print out of the certificate in the car, this is not advised as it gives any thief information which could allow them to evade the police if stopped. Much better to keep a PDF copy on your phone.

Good luck

That's a good law. Mine didn't renew once and as I was young and didn't look at bank statements - I had no idea...

vickster

Legendary Member
Good job you don't want to make a claim then you'd be f****d!
Although someone could happily claim against him as all companies know which registrations are insured by whom (indeed a broker could tell Accy who he’s insured with and until when 🤷‍♂️ )

C'mon now, you're seriously saying you don't know how to find out who you're insured with?

You did it on line I assume, you need an email address to do so, search your inbox for anything insurance related.

I think you know this already, you're 60 yrs old for God's sake!

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Just look at your insurance certificate.
you have that and put it with your important paperwork, Yes?

Your insurance company will write to you with the renewal quote, about a month before it’s due. Just look out for the letter.

400ixl

Law was probably the wrong word, the regulatory body (FCA) required that to be the standard position. And if you had not partially quoted me, you would have seen that I said you have the option to opt out at any point in time (usually policy inception).

I worked for one of the largest insurers when the change came in and we had to change the systems to put this in place. Haven't seen them make it as awkward as possible, but agree they don't advertise it as something you can request.

The FCA have re-affirmed this in their 2021 update as part of their changes about not charging renewals a different price to new customers. https://www.fca.org.uk/news/press-r...-loyalty-penalty-home-motor-insurance-markets

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Law was probably the wrong word, the regulatory body (FCA) required that to be the standard position. And if you had not partially quoted me, you would have seen that I said you have the option to opt out at any point in time (usually policy inception).

Regardless of the availability of opting out, it did not become a legal requirement for insurers to apply auto-renew to all policies.

400ixl

The FCA are as close to a law as you can get, they licence the insurers to practice. Don't comply, don't get a licence or get fined as a minimum.

Not something worth arguing over IMO, its what insurance companies comply to.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The FCA are as close to a law as you can get, they licence the insurers to practice. Don't comply, don't get a licence or get fined as a minimum.

Not something worth arguing over IMO, its what insurance companies comply to.

Not all insurers apply auto-renew. They still have a licence.

Top Bottom