Car insurance panic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I want to know when my car's insurance runs out. I think it's the 28th of this month, but i'm not too sure. I know it's due after the car's MOT which is due on Monday, so i'm still insured. To be honest i don't even know who i'm insured with, which brings me to my second problem. Last year i changed insurers and then my previous insurers did an automatic direct debit, renewing my insurance with them. When i cancelled it i had to pay a month's insurance and 'cancellation fees', which came to nearly £100. Whoever currently insures me i want to move from them to another insurer who's around £100 cheaper. I can find when my tax and MOT are due, but i can't find when the insurance runs out.

What do you suggest i should/could do?🤔

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Who's taking the money out of your account?

If you don't know who you're insured with - how do you know what they're going to charge you ?

Personally I so insurance through the meerkats so everything is under my account there. Takes only a minute to get quotes and take action. Simples.

classic33

Leg End Member
Annual one off payment.
No idea then, other than check with your bank, with an approximate date and amount, and see who it was paid to.

https://ownvehicle.askmid.com may help, if you have the correct details to hand.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'll go into my bank tomorrow and find out from last August's statements who they are and ask the bank to cancel my direct debit with them. Whoever they are, i don't want to give them another £300!

vickster

Legendary Member
Ummm don’t you have an insurance certificate with the details on? What would you do if you had an accident or were asked to produce?
No letter or email confirmation safely filed? 🤷‍♀️ Been back through your emails or bank / credit card statements to this time last year to see who you paid?

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Check here and it'll tell you whether you're insured: https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

Firstly your insurer will need to send you renewal details, either by post or e-mail. That's usually 3-4 weeks before renewal, although the post is frequently delayed at the moment.

Secondly, how can you prove you've got car insurance if you haven't any documents, electronic or otherwise? :wacko: Personally I print a copy and keep it in the car just in case.

Lozz360

Veteran
Insurance companies usually send you a renewal notification one month before the policy ends. Have you checked your email junk folder? As Vickster says, what about a confirmation email from this time last year? Search the word “insurance” on you emails.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
This is an issue these days with so much being done online, very few send you a hard copy certificate. I had a similar issue a few years ago when I couldn't remember who I was insured with. As DC said, they should have sent you a renewal policy but if you cancelled to previous one, you shouldn't get hit again this year.

Top Bottom