Car insurance question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I have to make do with a puny 31 years NCD.

BrynCP

Über Member
Try different comparison sites. Do you get lots of quotes, or do you get a handful quoting with lots of insurers not quoting - which could suggest there is something about the details you entered many of the insurers don't want to touch.

I didn't hold insurance for 23 months and my NCD was kept intact as long as it hadn't been a full 2 years since earning it.

If the DVLA say you're fit to drive, most insurers these days don't ask anything about any conditions (they used to, but I haven't been asked in 5 years now to elaborate on my condition).

I have 1 Fault claim, a 1.4L, 5 years NCD and held licence for 9 years and pay £370.

AndyRM

XOXO
Try different comparison sites. Do you get lots of quotes, or do you get a handful quoting with lots of insurers not quoting - which could suggest there is something about the details you entered many of the insurers don't want to touch.

I didn't hold insurance for 23 months and my NCD was kept intact as long as it hadn't been a full 2 years since earning it.

If the DVLA say you're fit to drive, most insurers these days don't ask anything about any conditions (they used to, but I haven't been asked in 5 years now to elaborate on my condition).

I have 1 Fault claim, a 1.4L, 5 years NCD and held licence for 9 years and pay £370.

No insurer would touch him if they knew he was blind in one eye and partially sighted in the other.

BrynCP

Über Member
No insurer would touch him if they knew he was blind in one eye and partially sighted in the other.
OK I didn't read that in the thread. However, I don't believe that is the kind of information a comparison site can capture, unless you say you're not fit to drive...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You need to phone someone and get proof of no claims.

I, for crazy reasons last week, looked into what a nearly new silly fast car would cost in insurance. Only £200 more a year than what I pay for a 15 year old family car (and I pay very little for that).

fossyant

Fitness to drive is key.... another cyclist near me was killed this morning

fossyant

That's bad news. What happened?

Drunk driver at 8am.. cyclist on way to club ride. Car was a mess as it did hit and run (smashed front, bonnet, screen and roof). That's why we say about fitness to drive. One idiot nearly left me in a wheel chair for life because he couldn't be bothered to look.

If your eye sight is dodgy, don't drive. Make sure you get sign off from a doctor. My father in law kept hitting walls and stuff as he couldn't see well. Fortunately it wasn't a person or car. He wouldn't listen. So obsessed with driving. We found all the car bodywork bills on a 2 year old car after he died.

BrynCP

Über Member
Insurers do tend to have a bit of a downer on people who fail to make a full and honest declaration.
I agree, just nothing in this thread to suggest that was a contributory factor to the £500 quote.

I declared myself unfit to drive and handed in my licence after only having had it for two years. Doing it like this, means when you sort out whatever issue needs sorting (hoping it can) you are allowed to continue driving while you renew your licence (but without it) if you are medically fit and meet any criteria (for me it was having been 1 year seizure free).

JoshM

Do you really not see a similarity between being unfit to drive through alcohol and being unfit through impaired vision? I know if my loved one was killed in an accident which was caused by the impairment of the other person involved, I'd consider that person a murderer and the nature of their impairment would matter little to me.

I'd be even less impressed if that loved one needed significant levels of care post life changing injuries caused by an impaired driver whose insurance won't pay out because they had invalidated their insurance by concealing facts about their health which may have resulted in the insurance company refusing to insure them.

Do vulnerable road users like those who frequent this forum and be honest with the insurers. That way if you insist it in driving despite knowing you're impaired when you seriously injure one of us at least we can pay for the care we will need

Last edited:
Top Bottom