Car insurance renewal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry for dragging this one kicking & screaming into the present day, but I did a topic search

The insurance for my Octavia is due early next month, & for the past 5 - 6 years I've used Liverpol & Victoria ('LV')
However, out of curiosity, on Tuesday afternoon, I tried NFU Mutual, as I used to insure my Land Rovers with them, & barring a requirement that I'd not use my 110CSW for 'hire & reward' as it was an 11-seater, I had absolutely no problems
(I even used to go to the office over at Honley to pay in person)

Last year, my Octavia was £223 F/C (with business cover)
I've not received the renewal notice yet

NFU quoted £400.37, plus another £50, if I wanted protected 'No Claims'

I'll see what the renewal brings!!

D

Deleted member 26715

I'm now just over 1 year with no car insured in my name, doesn't normally affect me, however the other day I had to drive somebody else's car wasn't until I got out at home did I think about it that for the 4 miles I was driving uninsured. If I don't buy anything before August I'll have to start swapping my wife's car insurance into my name & back to her name each year to keep both NCD at the full level.

I'm now just over 1 year with no car insured in my name, doesn't normally affect me, however the other day I had to drive somebody else's car wasn't until I got out at home did I think about it that for the 4 miles I was driving uninsured. If I don't buy anything before August I'll have to start swapping my wife's car insurance into my name & back to her name each year to keep both NCD at the full level.
Yes as a 1 car family now I have to do this but we can do it legitimately as we drive the car approximately 50/50 each so we are not fronting.

D

Deleted member 26715

Yes as a 1 car family now I have to do this but we can do it legitimately as we drive the car approximately 50/50 each so we are not fronting.
It's an interesting discussion point as what constitutes 'Main Driver' I have tried unsuccessfully to get this information from the call handlers. What criteria does it go on, in our instance my wife drives the car more times than I do (probably) but I drive more miles than she does. She only goes local whereas I'm the one who drives the distance if we go out together (her choice)

It's an interesting discussion point as what constitutes 'Main Driver' I have tried unsuccessfully to get this information from the call handlers. What criteria does it go on, in our instance my wife drives the car more times than I do (probably) but I drive more miles than she does. She only goes local whereas I'm the one who drives the distance if we go out together (her choice)
You shouldn't ask the call handlers hard questions like that. You'll fry their brains :laugh:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
My wife's renewal arrived a few days ago - NCB (9 years), protected, comprehensive etc for VW Up Gti at £347.

Renewed at £179 for identical cover via Meerkat & Co for £179 with the AA*.

I know that the AA* are just a 'front'.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Here we go again, the annual car insurance merry-go-round.
Currently insured with Churchill; a Suzuki S-Cross 1600 petrol, 2015, worth £4500 according to insurance company. Auto renew cost is £240.
Did my usual check on Compare the Market. Cheapest comparable cover on CTM is £176. And the company offering this cover? You guessed it; Churchill! :wacko:

mustang1

Legendary Member
The bit I don't get is that the insured value of your car decreases every year, yet the premiums inevitably go up. So how does that work then?

Charlatans, conmen and thieves, the lot of them. You do right to shop around every year.
I'm sure many people do, but I detest, DETEST, HAAAATE, insurance companies (at least for consumer auto-insurance). I cannot tell you HOW MUCH I HATE THEM. I BLXXDY HATE THEM. Wheres my frigging blood pressure machine...

Just thought i'd put it out there.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
D

Deleted member 26715

@Brandane & @mustang1 - the law is changing in January: https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/martin-lewis-tells-millions-drivers-24232212

It'll mean current insurers can't charge more for renewals than they would offer new customers . But ... it'll mean more expensive insurance for everyone as a result.

Guess when my insurance is due for renewal? Yep, the end of January. And I've got to have my 17 year-old on the policy as well for the time being.
1st January

Top Bottom