Car tyres for winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
My partner has Vredestein Quatrac's,and has always bought them.
They seem to do the business ,as we live at the top of a hill.
Snow isn't an issue with them.Mind you ,4 wheel drive kinda helps ^_^

Apparently ability on snow is:

4x4 with winter tyres
FWD with winter tyres
RWD with winter tyres
4x4 with summer tyres
FWD with summer tyres
RWD with summer tyres

Although I've driven cars in snow with winters on, it's more about the fact that you don't slip in the cold and wet. At this time of year I suddenly go from a quick-ish driver to the fastest car on the road when I go over the Peaks.

Drago

Legendary Member
For a new inches of snow then A/T's go to the top, though they're noisy in the dry and don't wear well.

If it's proper snow, IE, several feet and not just a feeble four inches or something, then M/T's go straight to the top of that list, though they're horrifically noisy.

When the now falls then properly prepared folk don't mess about with rubbish like snow tyres, which are something quite distinct from winter tyres.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
For a new inches of snow then A/T's go to the top, though they're noisy in the dry and don't wear well.

If it's proper snow, IE, several feet and not just a feeble four inches or something, then M/T's go straight to the top of that list, though they're horrifically noisy.

When the now falls then properly prepared folk don't mess about with rubbish like snow tyres, which are something quite distinct from winter tyres.

I guess by 'snow tyre' you mean one of those old-schol tyres with great paddles of tread on them? I'd be surprised if a modern winter tyre wasn't as good in deep snow - the chemistry of the 'rubber' is much more advanced these days, meaning it remains supple even in freezing conditions, and the finer tread pattern ('sipes') means that they grip extraordinarily well. I've driven a FWD car out of snow so deep that after a few feet the snow was up to the bumper with cheap, modern snow tyres. (After that I had to use an couple of old doors to get it on top of the snow so I could get to the cleared main road 20o metres away) In the current house I've been the only one to get off our street twice in a few years.

Why do you think winter tyres are "rubbish"? What experiences have you had?

Drago

Legendary Member
The chemistry of the rubber of all tyres has improved vastly in recent years, not just Winter boots.

And as for your final question.....

29" of snow in Pennsylvania. No forward motion on snow tyres. Back the Shogun into the barn and fit the M/T's, it was if there was 2.9" of snow, not 29. A different class of mechanical traction entirely. Like comparing nuclear power to a windmill, chalk and cheese. Some locals compromise and run good A/T's, which are better than snows but a bit noisy and twitchy in the dry, but are a workable compromise. I still have to go off road too for my SAR work, so I do the same, although I do have a self rims with M/T's if ever needed (bought them for the occasional pay and play off road days really).

So I get better snow traction than road car snow tyres with A/T's, don't have to fanny about changing rims, as the season changes, and with trial and error I've discovered Geolandars aren't too noisy. I pay a slight fuel consumption and wear penalty, but for the mileage I do its no problem. They don't come in road car sizes so the 2wd underclass can't benefit, have to stick with road oriented Snows, Winters, or M/S boots.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
The chemistry of the rubber of all tyres has improved vastly in recent years, not just Winter boots.

And as for your final question.....

29" of snow in Pennsylvania. No forward motion on snow tyres. Back the Shogun into the barn and fit the M/T's, it was if there was 2.9" of snow, not 29. A different class if mechanical traction entirely. Some locals compromise and run good A/T's, which are better than snows but a bit noisy and twitchy in the dry, but are a workable compromise. I still have to go off road too for my SAR work, so I do the dame, although J do have a self rims with M/T's if ever needed.
I think 29" of snow is a "different class" of challenge than I am talking about. It's a Fiesta I'm talking about, and I'm more coming from the angle of it not sliding down the other side of the hill I live on (the one with the main road at the bottom) rather than getting going when the snow is up to the scuttle :smile:

fixedfixer

Veteran
Yokohama wDrive winters on 4x4 up here in Scotland, even with a centre diff lock it can be interesting going over the Lecht.

fixedfixer

Veteran
Agreed, but ice under all four wheels stops anything dead (well unless you are on the way down in which case it's the opposite) :eek:

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
I get the message. I need to sell the Fiesta - even if it is ideal for getting around in town - because in my quest to make it a little more secure on a few hilly suburban roads and brake efficiently when it's 3 degrees and wet, what I actually need is an Alvis Stalwart just in case :smile:

I'm just wondering if it's worth putting winter tyres on .
People complain about Britains weather sure,but we don't get a massive amount of snow and ice over a long period .
But there is no harm in putting a set on anyway.
It wouldn't do any harm either way.

fixedfixer

Veteran
The Winter Tyres give better grip from +7 degrees and below. It's not just about snow covered roads. Winters are less good from +7 degrees and above when they take longer to stop than a summer tyre. All season tryes are a compromise between the two. True snow tyres are something different again.

The Winter Tyres give better grip from +7 degrees and below. It's not just about snow covered roads. Winters are less good from +7 degrees and above when they take longer to stop than a summer tyre. All season tryes are a compromise between the two. True snow tyres are something different again.

Good points.
Much like I have different tyres for different trails and conditions.

Globalti

Legendary Member
We have Avon Ice Touring tyres on a second set of steel wheels for Mrs Gti's FWD diesel Ibiza, which has the weight of the diesel engine over the driving wheels. With these fitted it is quite astonishing in snow and ice; nothing will stop it despite my best efforts to get it stuck. The car came with no spare tyre, only the stoopid latex and inflator kit so I keep one winter tyre in the wheel well and I bought a Polo boot kit with jack and wheelbrace off Ebay and keep this inside the spare wheel. In winter a summer wheel lives in the well, so we've always got a proper spare.

Brandane

Legendary Member
GoodYear Efficient Grip all year round. I adjust my driving to suit the weather conditions rather than change the tyres. In the unlikely event that we ever do get proper deep snow then I don't think any tyres will help a Toyota Corolla. The front spoiler and grill is not the best snow plough.

GoodYear Efficient Grip all year round. I adjust my driving to suit the weather conditions rather than change the tyres. In the unlikely event that we ever do get proper deep snow then I don't think any tyres will help a Toyota Corolla. The front spoiler and grill is not the best snow plough.

You have no worries Brandane,with you living on the coast.
Just don't go on the Kilbirnie road :ohmy:

Top Bottom