Car tyres for winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fixedfixer

Veteran
Flyboy, I was brought up in Neston. The fat bike would be ace for trips out to Hilbre Island and stuff. You'll get plenty of use there mate.

All this reminds me of a chat with a tyre fitter one winter when we actually did get snow. A customer in a village had ordered winter tyres and wanted them fitting with their mobile service, tyre fitter apologised but said he couldn't get to them as the village was cut off.
'But I can't get out of my drive it's so slippery'
'Your village is cut off at the moment'
'But I need to get the car out of the drive'
'Your village is cut off'
'I need to use the car'
'The village is cut off. Where exactly are you going to drive to?'
'But...'
At which point he gave up.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
As I've said, I don't want winter tyres on my car so I can pretend I'm Captain Scott. If I did, I wouldn't have two front-wheel drive hatchbacks.

Winter tyres give you more grip when it is cold - and by "cold" I mean 7 degrees or cooler. And by more grip I mean the car stops sooner, changes direction more assuredly. I have old (ish) cars but they are well maintained - I try to keep them in good condition, so that I never find myself involved in an accident where I wonder if I could have avoided it if the car was better looked after.

On a wet road at 5 degrees, a car with winter tyres on will stop 5 metres sooner (from 62mph) than one with 'summer' tyres on. The difference is bigger the colder it gets, of course.

Brandane

Legendary Member
All this reminds me of a chat with a tyre fitter one winter when we actually did get snow. A customer in a village had ordered winter tyres and wanted them fitting with their mobile service, tyre fitter apologised but said he couldn't get to them as the village was cut off.
'But I can't get out of my drive it's so slippery'
'Your village is cut off at the moment'
'But I need to get the car out of the drive'
'Your village is cut off'
'I need to use the car'
'The village is cut off. Where exactly are you going to drive to?'
'But...'
At which point he gave up.
Some people won't listen.
A few years back, we had heavy snow on one of the three main routes out of town. We are at sea level so snow is rare, however you can go less than 2 miles on this particular road which goes straight up a hill, and things are completely different.
Warnings were issued and signs put up telling drivers that the road was closed due to snow, but they knew better. As a result, about 30 cars got stuck on both sides of the road and had to be abandoned. Nothing, including snow ploughs, were able to get past the abandoned cars. They sat there for about 4 days until nature took it's course.

As an added bonus, when the drivers were able to get to their cars they discovered that some of the local entrepreneurs had been on a hiking expedition and relieved them of anything of value in their cars.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
[QUOTE 4547476, member: 9609"]a few years back we had some serious snow fall, everything was completely blocked for quite a few days, a lad I know said his neighbour had just dragged is wheelie bin to the edge of his driveway for the collection the next day - bloke with the wheelie bins was director of education for region.[/QUOTE]
In the good old days of long distant memory the council employed people, rather than had contractors to do everything. My grandfather was ostensibly on the road repair team, but come the snow, him and his gang were set to gritting and snow shifting, along with the gardeners from the parks and so on -basically anyone else who worked for the council who was able to help out. It's not the same now.

That said, you might as well put your bin out on the right day. If the come and you haven't, you're not going to get it emptied for a fortnight. And if they miss your day because of the weather, they could turn up anytime while they catch up, surely? That's how it works here.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Just to add - it was OMGSNOWING! this morning, and I drove the Fester with it's ditchfinders. I am still alive. In fact I tried to provoke it and it lacked the power to manage more than the most half-hearted bit of wheel spin. If I survive the journey home I'll get some all seasons for it anyway, for reasons stated.

Some people won't listen.
A few years back, we had heavy snow on one of the three main routes out of town. We are at sea level so snow is rare, however you can go less than 2 miles on this particular road which goes straight up a hill, and things are completely different.
Warnings were issued and signs put up telling drivers that the road was closed due to snow, but they knew better. As a result, about 30 cars got stuck on both sides of the road and had to be abandoned. Nothing, including snow ploughs, were able to get past the abandoned cars. They sat there for about 4 days until nature took it's course.

As an added bonus, when the drivers were able to get to their cars they discovered that some of the local entrepreneurs had been on a hiking expedition and relieved them of anything of value in their cars.
The Kilbirnie road I was talking about @Brandane ?

Top Bottom