Car tyres for winter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I've fitted winter tyres to my car for the last few years, and am totally convinced by their effectiveness. My local garage stores them and I pay them to swap over the tyres at the end of Autumn and again in mid-spring.

We've recently got a "litte runabout" as a second car, and frankly I would not want to pay to get the tyres changed on it twice a year. The tyres it came with are quite worn out anyway, and of the 'Ditchfinder' brand so were never much good. So I'm considering getting some all-season tyres for it: there seems no point having two cars if you can't get one of them off the street some days (we live on a steep hill) and all seasons sound ideal for the UKs rather unpredictable (but mainly wet, and very rarely extremely snowy, even here in t'North) weather. Do any of you have any experience of all-weather tyres that you can contrast with 'normal'/summer tyres, or a full winter tyre as per the 'big' car. I'm looking at getting a set of Nokian AllWeathers.

Cheers.

simon.r

Person
It's never occurred to me to change car tyres to suit the seasons. I lived in a village for many years, with roads that the gritters didn't get to for at least a few days after it snowed and I could count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I couldn't get into or out of the village.

Surely all modern car tyres are "all-season" in practical terms?

tyred

Legendary Member
There is definite advantages to proper winter tyres but standard tyres should be fine with care and careful driving (unless you live on top of a mountain or something. Or have a heavy rear wheel drive car).

By “little runaround“ I'm assuming Fiesta, 206 or similar. If it's got narrowish tyres fitted then it should be fine on standard tyres as light, short, front wheel drive cars on narrow tyres are pretty good in snow.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Winter tyres or all weather tyres are compulsory here in Germany. Basically winter tyres are not snow tyres, they are just designed to be used when the average temperature is below 7 degrees. Normal rubber tends to go harder and more brittle in lower temperatures, whereas winter tyres have a different composition to prevent this. Cars with winter tyres fitted have generally shorter braking distances than summer tyres in the winter along with other benefits.

Along with most other folks here, I have a spare set of cheap steel wheels with the winter tyres on. Then every October and April it's an easy job to swap them over. The spare wheels are kept in the garage.

Whilst I personally have no direct experience of all weather tyres, I do have friends who use them and say they are absolutely fine and do a good job. I know Nokian tyres are pretty good as well. I think you'll probably find them absolutely fine for the job.

screenman

Legendary Member
There are many times around here a winter tyre would maybe help, I do about 30,000 miles a year mainly on the poor Lincolnshire roads. The improved handling and braking efficiency may one day be very important, I would never mock them.

Doseone

Guru
Michelin Crossclimate will fit the bill. Pricey though.

The Roomster has Vredestein quatrac all seasons (could be the 'LITE' version, but not sure) on it. Had them a couple of years now.
Not had any particularly nasty weather since (East Yorkshire) or for that matter experience of winter tyres to compare to and as it's my wifes car it generally doesn't get used early mornings when its likely to be icey and we do live in a city. So fine for all year use for us - the Roomster ain't exactly a high performance vehicle.
Think that is the point though - depends on what your use is. Chugging through city congestion they aren't going to help - you won't go any quicker than the car in front without them, and if the car behind is a little too close and you can stop quicker than them....

The changing tyres does seem to be a fairly new thing in the UK - never recall hearing much about it when I started driving. Maybe just a result of 'summer' tyres going down a more higher performance route so not performing as well in winter so an easier sell for manufacturers.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
I note a few replies along the lines of "I've never had a problem, ergo your winter tyres are pointless"

I discovered winter tyres in Scandinavia. I worked there for a while and the hire car had winters on - I didn't realise at the time, I just drove it to work every morning and evening, and marveled at how fast I could drive it even though I could see the twinkle of frost everywhere, and despite the hotel car park being obviously slippery under foot. They make a huge difference to traction in the cold (not just in the snow) which means that when it is cold (not even icy, just cold) I can stop quicker and steer better than if I had my 'suimmer' tyres on. This set cost me £250 or so, but they are on their second winter, and of course I'm not using my summer tyres at all at the moment. A friend of mine used to scoff at my having them fitted, until he bent his car on a lamp-post and had to pay his insurance excess and higher premiums ...
Modern tyres are not like the tyres of the 70s. They are often low profile, and moreover they are designed for 'sporty' handling on dry roads. I know you all live in the Hebredies at the bottom of a 1 in 3, and yet you can drive your Formula One car out every day on slicks, but I am a mere mortal. A mere mortal who has been stuck at the bottom of a hill on summer tyres (albeit legal but worn ones, and wide, low profile ones at that) in a lightweight front-wheel drive car - if you lose momentum you've often had it around here. And yes, I tried rocking it, I tired doing it in second, I tried rolling it back and starting again, I tried just nailing it - it would not go. And the point was even if it had gone, the struggle to start off would have indicated that I wasn't going to be fully in control of the car once it was moving. I've never had any such issues with seven years of winter tyres fitted.

The 'little' car is indeed a Fiesta so tyres for it are not to expensive - they're only 14". The Nokian's are £50 a go online.

Stephenite

Membå
All-season tyres are going to improve your traction on snow and ice a great deal over summer tyres. No doubt.

I don't know where you're going to be driving but they'll always be a compromise. I read somewhere that Michelin had some new all-season tyres (that you might call 3-season here in Norway). They get good reviews. But they will wear quickly.

Stephenite

Membå
I note a few replies along the lines of "I've never had a problem, ergo your winter tyres are pointless"

I discovered winter tyres in Scandinavia. I worked there for a while and the hire car had winters on - I didn't realise at the time, I just drove it to work every morning and evening, and marveled at how fast I could drive it even though I could see the twinkle of frost everywhere, and despite the hotel car park being obviously slippery under foot. They make a huge difference to traction in the cold (not just in the snow) which means that when it is cold (not even icy, just cold) I can stop quicker and steer better than if I had my 'suimmer' tyres on. This set cost me £250 or so, but they are on their second winter, and of course I'm not using my summer tyres at all at the moment. A friend of mine used to scoff at my having them fitted, until he bent his car on a lamp-post and had to pay his insurance excess and higher premiums ...
Modern tyres are not like the tyres of the 70s. They are often low profile, and moreover they are designed for 'sporty' handling on dry roads. I know you all live in the Hebredies at the bottom of a 1 in 3, and yet you can drive your Formula One car out every day on slicks, but I am a mere mortal. A mere mortal who has been stuck at the bottom of a hill on summer tyres (albeit legal but worn ones, and wide, low profile ones at that) in a lightweight front-wheel drive car - if you lose momentum you've often had it around here. And yes, I tried rocking it, I tired doing it in second, I tried rolling it back and starting again, I tried just nailing it - it would not go. And the point was even if it had gone, the struggle to start off would have indicated that I wasn't going to be fully in control of the car once it was moving. I've never had any such issues with seven years of winter tyres fitted.

The 'little' car is indeed a Fiesta so tyres for it are not to expensive - they're only 14". The Nokian's are £50 a go online.
You didn't reverse it up the hill. :tongue:

My partner has Vredestein Quatrac's,and has always bought them.
They seem to do the business ,as we live at the top of a hill.
Snow isn't an issue with them.Mind you ,4 wheel drive kinda helps ^_^

Top Bottom