Car windscreen condensation cures.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Make sure the 'recirc' button or control isn't set to 'on'.

Check you have no cabin leaks.

DRHysted

Guru
With 4 almost constantly wet dogs, winter means heavy condensation on the windows for which I have found no cure.
my old Ford had heated front windscreen which was brilliant, but pretty much in constant use. Unfortunately my current car doesn’t have that, so the air conditioning is permanently on with the heater set between 20 to 22, and I keep a roll absorbent paper for when I don’t want to wait.

Slick

Guru
Ford, I seem to remember, has the patent on heated front screens..
Yeah I think that's right and is a pretty good tool first thing on a frosty morning.

I've never really had an issue with condensation but my heater is always on low and set to the windscreen at around 20 degrees.

The other thing to try is crack a window. :okay:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
ALWAYS have the fan running, always. If you only run the fan when you want a bit of warm air then you spend the rest of the time sitting in a moisture laden mix of stale breath and evaporated sweat and this can only condense on the coldest surface, the windows.

Condensation sources;
Wet carpets due to a leak in the body (door seals, badly fitting windows, missing grommets, etc).
Recirc on continuously or fan not used at all.
Leaky heater matrix (fogging gets worse with fan on and may have a noticeable drop in engine coolant level).
Blocked drains in fan housing. Leaves and muck can foul drains and leave the fan sat in a stagnant pond which is pumped all over the windows when air is drawn. (Passat B5/5.5 and landrover Defenders bad for this).
Old/blocked cabin filter doesn't help.
Car full of wet bodies on a miserable day.
Dirty windows on the inside. IME clean windows fog much less than ones that have a layer of grime on them. You often wont see this grime until driving into low sun, which is another benefit of clean windows, visibility is much improved when driving towards low sun and bright headlights at night.

A few things for you to rule out there. :okay:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
There are various fluids which claim to work. I remember using them and they work quite well.

OP
OP
Salty seadog

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
100% with Drago, I told 2 people with fogged up cars how to cure it last week and have told hundreds more in the past. Use your aircon, and check the pollen filter. What make and model of car?

2002 Corolla. Its OK when warmed up and I run the a to dry the air. Its overnight in certain conditions it condenses up. Its only now and then but I could do without it in the morning.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As others have said, aircon always. Never switch it off in our cars - no need to do so, and it also keeps it running and he seals lubricated. It's fabulus at removing damp. But, if you've got a lot of damp, there is something getting wet in there.

When my son got his car he hadn't realised you need to run air con all the time, and , his car kept fogging up. If you switch off ac, there will be moisture in the system, which then is blown out into the car, fogging windows up. Don't forget the air con works as a dehumidifier as well.

Yes, if you've got it use the aircon, it cleans the screen in seconds.
If you have a leak somewhere and the screen is literally running with water it'll work but take much longer.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
You could polish the inside of the windscreen with neat washing up liquid- I used to do that to the inside of my motorbike helmet visor- it stops the glass misting up and lasts for a while but it'd be quite hard work to get the smears polished out the first time!

Try it on a small area or a side window first.

Top Bottom