Carbon bikes - recommendations and queries - update, I have a bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Enlightenedwaistcoat

Hello! I've been looking at turning my aluminium Giant Contend into a winter bike and getting something jazzy and carbon for the summer months, because why not? I started out looking at a Trek Emonda or a Giant TCR and have now got my eye on a Liv Langma. I unfortunately think I do need women's specific geometry due to issues with long legs and a shorter reach and the Giant involved me having to reduce handlebar width and stem length by more than I would have liked to. Regardless, it fits well but I don't want to have to fork out for a bike and start spending money on it.

I've done a search for the langma on here and haven't returned much. Given its the women's version of the TCR though, has anyone got a TCR and wants to sing its praises? 😅 The only issue I can see at the moment is the fact it's got a semi compact chainset and an 11 30 cassette. I've got a compact currently and an 11 34 but that's an easy fix if I need a slightly smaller gear.

Aside from this, are there any other bikes anyone wants to recommend? I'm pretty open. The langma I'm looking at is just short of £2400 - I don't need ultegra really, and altho I really don't like the giant PR2 wheelset if I wanted to upgrade to the langma advanced 1 it comes with a carbon wheel but at just over £3100 for the bike and the fact they use a hookless rim (really don't want to go down this road, I hate tubeless and tyre choice is too limited), I don't care much to do that. I've got some nice hand-built wheels I want to put on it anyway until such a time comes I decide I want to put a carbon set on there, so I might as well save my money. So with that said, I think my budget is around 2500 - slightly over is fine tho if it was the right bike. So - hit me with your advice and recommendations! :hello:

Edit - should have said, it's going to be used for (reasonably) speedy club runs but I also like to ride alone so just something fun and fast(ish) really!

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have a fullb carbon Koga Di2 Road bike. It is by far, my least used bike. If you only intend to do short, fast club runs. Then carbon could be the way to go. But for long runs I find aluminium far more comfortable and it is cheaper all round get a good set of wheels on a cheaper alu bike. But this is only my opinion and food for thought. Carbon does not necessarily make you faster.

Brandane

Legendary Member
In praise of carbon, I have a Merida Ride 4000 which I find much more comfortable than a similar aluminium framed road bike I had but has now been sold on. The carbon is so light and much quicker up hills, of which there are a lot in this area. Road surfaces here I would guess are much worse than in Denmark too! Having said that, it is used less than my favourite bike, a steel framed Genesis Croix de Fer. Mainly because I keep the carbon for better weather, which can be in short supply in the west of Scotland.

None of which is much use to the OP, other than to say go for the carbon. And consider Merida, a good brand somewhat underrated IMHO.. Not sure what female specific bikes they do though.

I had a TCR and it was a lovely bike.
I swapped the frame out from a 853 steel frame and the difference in comfort could only have been down to the frame as everything else was the same.

CF can be used to make really stiff frames or comfy ones - depends on how you use it.

I don't think you can go wrong with it.

If you do want extra comfort then make sure your frame can cope with wider tyres they make a big difference too.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

In praise of carbon, I have a Merida Ride 4000 which I find much more comfortable than a similar aluminium framed road bike I had but has now been sold on. The carbon is so light and much quicker up hills, of which there are a lot in this area. Road surfaces here I would guess are much worse than in Denmark too! Having said that, it is used less than my favourite bike, a steel framed Genesis Croix de Fer. Mainly because I keep the carbon for better weather, which can be in short supply in the west of Scotland.

None of which is much use to the OP, other than to say go for the carbon. And consider Merida, a good brand somewhat underrated IMHO.. Not sure what female specific bikes they do though.
Thanks. I used to think carbon was a bad ride because it was stiff but I guess with advances in tech and being able to have stiffness where you need it it can end up being better than alu. Be interesting to see how it compares - my alu is reasonably comfortable but I wouldn't say it was amazing. I also read that alu can be a harsh ride so who knows. I really fancy a carbon bike tho so that's what we're gonna go with 😂

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

I had a TCR and it was a lovely bike.
I swapped the frame out from a 853 steel frame and the difference in comfort could only have been down to the frame as everything else was the same.

CF can be used to make really stiff frames or comfy ones - depends on how you use it.

I don't think you can go wrong with it.

If you do want extra comfort then make sure your frame can cope with wider tyres they make a big difference too.

Think the langma takes 28. I run 25 at the min but with the rim I've got they're more like a 28 and I find them plenty comfortable.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

No female specific - but I've been really impressed with my Dolan Tuono. Amongst the cheaper carbon options ...and all sizes in stock.

Looks ace, and more customisable than a Giant too (with a better wheelset for the same price as the Giant) . Will have a proper look later!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
if you have handbuilt wheels and want some carbon ones in the future, then just get basic stock wheels and sell on brand new. someone like Dolan might even let u spec no wheels and discount the price - worth asking if you don't need them. Obviously need to ensure your handbults are compatible with frame, re QR vs TA disc vs rim brakes etc etc

re carbon wheels without silly hookless rims....
https://zedbikewheels.com/
I've been very impressed with mine from here.

re comments above, as someone who has alu, carbon and steel, alu is defo the harshest ride. Would take my carbon or 531 steel over Alu for a long days riding.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
TCR's get fantastic write ups. I have a Defy and a Propel. Have been super close to getting a TCR but fancy a change from Giant. Done a lot of research and am almost decided on a trek this time. Emonda or Domane... if you want a smoother ride and much more clearance for wider tyres, then the Domane is the way to go. Have to admint the Emonda looks nice, mind you. WRT carbon vs alu, I can only go on my own experiences (can't we all) and having owned numerous bikes of all materials I favour carbon for fastish club rides. I would want to go for min 30mm tyres these days ideally 32, which means the Emonda is on the cusp... will take a 30 but doubt any more. For ref I just had to take off 32's on my Defy because it was too tight at the back and rubbing the chainstay periodically.

Edit to add that - weight is a slight issue with the Treks, the Domane isn't exactly light and the Emonda isn't the climbing bike it once was. But given I am a fat chopper and live in the flat lands this is less of a concern to me... maybe your situation is different.

OP
OP
E

Enlightenedwaistcoat

TCR's get fantastic write ups. I have a Defy and a Propel. Have been super close to getting a TCR but fancy a change from Giant. Done a lot of research and am almost decided on a trek this time. Emonda or Domane... if you want a smoother ride and much more clearance for wider tyres, then the Domane is the way to go. Have to admint the Emonda looks nice, mind you. WRT carbon vs alu, I can only go on my own experiences (can't we all) and having owned numerous bikes of all materials I favour carbon for fastish club rides. I would want to go for min 30mm tyres these days ideally 32, which means the Emonda is on the cusp... will take a 30 but doubt any more. For ref I just had to take off 32's on my Defy because it was too tight at the back and rubbing the chainstay periodically.

Edit to add that - weight is a slight issue with the Treks, the Domane isn't exactly light and the Emonda isn't the climbing bike it once was. But given I am a fat chopper and live in the flat lands this is less of a concern to me... maybe your situation is different.

This is what puts me off the emonda - it's not as light as it once was. I don't want a domane or any endurance bike really. Not to say I want something slammed but I want something a bit racier. I have the contend that takes wide tyres and I only ever put wider tyres on in the winter months.

I'm also on the edge of the Derbyshire peaks with easy access to the pennines and the Cheshire flats so most rides include some climbing!

Last edited:
Top Bottom