Carbon Clinchers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Seems there is a debate going on as to why people would buy or use carbon clinchers. So the question is,

Do you use them?

Why?

or why not?

I cant justify the expense but I'd be dubious of their braking in the wet (having seen Thomas et al struggling in Pro races) but If I could affor them maybey the bling factor would overide :thumbsup:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
No I don't, for several reasons....

1) The tubular equivalent is generally cheaper
2) The tubular equivalent is generally lighter
3) If I puncture in a race the race is over anyway so couldn't give a toss about fixing a puncture on the road side
4) You can ride carefully on a flat tub for a short way without damaging your rims
5) You can run higher tyre pressures, generally
6) A good tub needen't cost much more than a good clincher and good inner tube.

Probably many more reasons other than these.....

VamP

Banned
I think the sportive crowd generally prefer clinchers and the racing crowd tubs. Generally.

Tubs are better :becool:

OP
OP
J

jowwy

I'm sure there are plenty of people running carbon clinchers - there are certainly plenty of them for sale online, so they're obviously popular. But - as a serious, practical and cost-effective kit choice, they suck, big time.
if u say so dusty

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Tubs! Carbon clinchers...pointless!
why are they pointless??????

OP
OP
J

jowwy

well maybe the pro peleton think differently to the average cyclist.

but hey each to their own i supppse.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I have tubs and clinchers from ENVE, and Zipp which are both respected wheel producers.
Imho tubs and clinchers both have their advantages as the pro peleton are now starting to appreciate.
AG2R extensively use clinchers as do Omega Pharmacy Quickstep in the spring classics.
Zipp state that their clinchers have a lower rolling resistance than tubs which gives them advantages in certain situations.

My own view is I would take the best wheels available, as such would rather have a good clincher from a manufacturer like Zipp than a tub from PlanetX

Mr Haematocrit

I have 202, 303, 404 zipps in tubs and clinchers and 808 and disk tubs.... I quite happily use either under different situations.
If I had to pick one wheel I have to ride all the time it would be the 202 clincher which is just an amazing wheel to me, I am unable to explain it, justify reasoning behind it. Compared to all my other wheels I just think its the least flawed

Mr Haematocrit

Top Bottom