Carbon Clinchers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The reality is, clinchers and tubs are getting very close to each other in Crr and CdA terms, especially on the top end wheels. The choice comes down to other factors.

For someone like Jowwy, a clincher is probably the smartest choice, he doesn't race, he rides sportives and bashes about in the lanes and just wants to have some nice wheels and to enjoy his riding, for him, he doesn't want a puncture to ruin his ride (although this is not necessarily the case with a tub either).

For someone else, say a racer where a puncture is game over regardless of tyre type (unless you have a spare in the pits in a crit or CX race), then things will be different. I am pretty certain for me, clincher vs tub wouldn't make much difference in speed provided I was on good tubs or good clinchers + good inner tubes (i.e. not comparing a hose pipe to a supple racing tyre) but other considerations come into it (cost, weight etc), in which case, tubs win IMO!

I got a whole season of racing (around 35 races) out of a pair of Conti Podium TT tubular tyres, the front is still good for probably another half season, maybe more, the rear is worn down to the puncture protection layer in places and has a few large knicks in the rubber. Mostly from over zealous braking, as the rubber layer over the puncture protection layer is very thin, like a small fraction of a mm, so even a tiny skid and it is worn through.

Last edited:
Why go carbon clincher or tubeless? To get a decent set you're laying out £1k+ and there's not many of us on here that are going to get the full benefit of that sort of layout. Get some alu wheels!!

Clinchers are being used by the team as they offer a lower rolling resistance and Martin's mechanic pumps his 24.2mm tires to 8bar (116psi).

Just to be clear, this is the actual quote from the BR story. My highlight in bold...

While nearly all professional riders race on tubulars for road events, a select few choose clinchers for time trials as they can offer lower rolling resistance. Martin's mechanic pumps his 24.2mm tires to 8bar (116psi)

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Just to be clear, this is the actual quote from the BR story. My highlight in bold...
whats your point dusty - you have your opinions, some of us have ours. I prefer the use of clincher as i don't race and use the wheels for weekend rides and sportives etc, so for me using clinchers have an advantage over tubulars.....

OP
OP
J

jowwy

so it CAN - better than it CAN'T wouldn't you assume

OP
OP
J

jowwy

The first quote from Mr Haemo contained an 'absolute'. The actual quote contained a 'conditional'. The difference should be obvious. Let's not get into another round of 'post-purchase justification' again, pls...
i don't need to justify my purchase to you, the lord or even swmbo - i get what i want - NO JUSTIFICATION required

OP
OP
J

jowwy

You do sound incredibly defensive about it :whistle:
no - just get fed up of people quoting this and that rather than making their own minds up - not every review or quote will satisfy every user - but using the product and finding out for yourself and then passing on the experience of riding them, is far more beneficial than just quoting somebody elses reason for using or not using them.

@Mr Haematocrit uses the same wheels as me and so does @PaulSecteur so their real world perspectives are a better indication of how the wheels run and perform, not some forumight using quotes to justify why he wouldn't use them.

as far as i can read all @Dusty Bin does is give negative response on reviews based on other people's quotes or justifications, not based on his own personal usage

rant over

as i'm off to ride my carbon clinchers while the sun shines on the welsh valley

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
"As you can see, Mrs Smith, once you've paid me. You simply won't be able to afford carbon tubs"
financial advisor.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom