Carbon Clinchers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
No. Is that a problem?

VamP

Banned
@Dusty Bin have you used or tested carbon clinchers

The construction problems of carbon clinchers are well understood, namely being heavier and more prone to overheating on long descents, than equivalent tubulars. I am not sure what you expect @Dusty Bin, or anyone else to uncover in the course of riding carbon clinchers rather than tubs that is likely to change that?

So far the only thing that we have had on this thread in favour of carbon clinchers is that they are used by some pro teams - I guess we have heard of sponsorship pressures? - and @Mr Haematocrit prefers his to his tubs but cannot explain why.

The fact is that some choose to sacrifice the advantages of tubs for the perceived greater convenience of clinchers. Others do not. Get over it.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
just find it strange that someone can have such a low opinion of something he's never tried or tested. @VamP i have nothing to get over mate

VamP

Banned
just find it strange that someone can have such a low opinion of something he's never tried or tested. @VamP i have nothing to get over mate

Really? Do I need to ride Tesco FS MTB to realise it's shoot? Poke myself in the eye with a sharp object?

Which of the two facts I listed will be disproved by taking a set of Zipp's finest clinchers for a spin? That they are heavier than their tubs, or that they might overheat and explode coming down Alpe d'Huez?

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Really? Do I need to ride Tesco FS MTB to realise it's s***? Poke myself in the eye with a sharp object?

Which of the two facts I listed will be disproved by taking a set of Zipp's finest clinchers for a spin? That they are heavier than their tubs, or that they might overheat and explode coming down Alpe d'Huez?
well i descended a 7mile descent at the weekend hitting speeds between 40/50mph and they didnt over heat or explode on braking.........but as they say on dragons den, i'm out

VamP

Banned
well i descended a 7mile descent at the weekend hitting speeds between 40/50mph and they didnt over heat or explode on braking.........but as they say on dragons den, i'm out

Jeez.

I am not saying your wheels are going to explode, I'm just relating well known downsides of carbon clinchers. If you can't cope with discussions then don't start them.

mattobrien

Guru
As far as I can see there are pro's and con's to each side.

The pro's of tubs are that they are cheaper (in some cases) and that they are usually lighter. Also as has been pointed out there is the over heating issue while descending Alpe d'Huez.

The pro for clinchers is the convenience of easily being able to fix a puncture by the sire of the road without the need to carry a spare tub.

Weighing up the pro's and con's for both, I opted for the wheel that I felt was right for me and in this instance it was a clincher.

I live in Suffolk, so finding anything close to an Alpe d'Huez descent is quite on the tricky side, so overheating isn't a concern to me and my riding is pleasure rather than racing, so I do value the convenience of easily being able to fix a puncture by the side of the road.

We have two young children, so if I phone Mrs O to be collected due to the result of a puncture, I suspect I would hear her fall to the floor in a fit of laughter before reminding me that her answer was no and that it was my own silly choice to go out on the bike. That said, I have had a single puncture in about 5,000 miles of road riding and that was at the top of the road in which I live, so a quick walk home and a fix in the garage (and that was in the wet).

I will not rule out tubs, but not for this bike. Maybe I will get some for my TT bike, the only issue being that I need to buy the bike first...

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Jeez.

I am not saying your wheels are going to explode, I'm just relating well known downsides of carbon clinchers. If you can't cope with discussions then don't start them.
i think you will find there are downsides to all products, but if we all listened to them, we would all live very sadlives. i'm not saying my clinchers are better or worse than tubs or steel rims etc etc, i like them, they roll well, are considerably lighter than my handbuilts and they feel smooth and quick, even to a weighty leisure/sportive rider like me and by damned they look good too.

I don't have either Carbon clinchers or tubs. Did look at them recently, decided against both and went for a set of good alu clinchers. For me the factors were a) carbon is expensive and I'm just not that good a rider to justify the expenditure b) most clinchers in my price bracket had alu rims which increased the weight; c) I'm used to clinchers and I can repair a puncture in under 5 mins so I stuck with what I knew.

From the observations I made whilst looking around it does seem that carbon tubs are cheaper than clinchers. Whether this is down to them being better, clinchers having a different rim structure or just manufacturers "ripping off" the clincher brigade because they know most people will take that upgrade path I couldn't comment.

VamP

Banned
i think you will find there are downsides to all products, but if we all listened to them, we would all live very sadlives. i'm not saying my clinchers are better or worse than tubs or steel rims etc etc, i like them, they roll well, are considerably lighter than my handbuilts and they feel smooth and quick, even to a weighty leisure/sportive rider like me and by damned they look good too.

You could say that so easily about any wheelset. I'm glad you like them.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

Absolutely, pretty sure I have said the same about my cheapo Pro-Lite's, I prompty smacked myself for making shoot up and talking in cliches shortly afterwards though!

OP
OP
J

jowwy

your right i could - but i dont have any other wheelsets ( yet ). Now when i get into tt's next year who knows

VamP

Banned
Absolutely, pretty sure I have said the same about my cheapo Pro-Lite's, I prompty smacked myself for making s*** up and talking in cliches shortly afterwards though!

Eleven wheelsets at the last count, I'm pretty sure I've been through every cliché in the book :laugh:

Top Bottom