Carbon Clinchers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
So far the only thing that we have had on this thread in favour of carbon clinchers is that they are used by some pro teams - I guess we have heard of sponsorship pressures? - and @Mr Haematocrit prefers his to his tubs but cannot explain why.

The fact is that some choose to sacrifice the advantages of tubs for the perceived greater convenience of clinchers. Others do not. Get over it.

I can most certainly explain why I prefer my clinchers to my tubs and this is the convenience of them and the fact I do not believe I get a advantage from not using them, no matter if this is perceived or not.
I have been running both tubs and clinchers for the past 4 years and while in the past I favored tubs I'm uncertain why and currently am not so certain that the performance advantage I perceived from using tubs actually exists for the type of riding/skill set/competitiveness I have.

I'm not so certain that we have heard the last of clinchers in the pro peleton, and I am equally not convinced that the use is due to sponsorship pressures. I think that clinchers do offer advantages in certain situations and will continue to increase in use. In the same way that shallow rim wheels will be used for specific situations such as climbing, I believe clinchers will be used in certain situations.
One of the teams which have used clinchers in the past season have no wheel / tyre sponsor as such you can only speculate if they made this choice based around cost, performance, convenience, or some other reason. I simply do not claim to know, but remain interested in anything which changes..

Realistically, my view is that I will use what I believe the best wheel available to me. The choice is based on nothing but my own perception at the time.
But as im lucky enough to own a nice selection of tubs and clinchers from Zipp and ENVE with ceramic bearings im quite happy with whatever I choose. :thumbsup:

Shame the thread seems to have brought up a bit of tension, could be a really interesting discussion/debate.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
well im definately getting into tt's next year so im pretty sure tubs will be in my stable...........just need to decide on which tt bike to get

VamP

Banned
I was only making a reference to this.

I have 202, 303, 404 zipps in tubs and clinchers and 808 and disk tubs.... I quite happily use either under different situations.
If I had to pick one wheel I have to ride all the time it would be the 202 clincher which is just an amazing wheel to me, I am unable to explain it, justify reasoning behind it. Compared to all my other wheels I just think its the least flawed

mattobrien

Guru
Got my new wheels, clinchers, today. No excuses now, just need to push harder. Sadly no more 'speed' upgrades for the bike, so no more cheating.

Looking for a dry and ideally windless day to take them for a spin...

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jowwy

@mattobrien careful of the anti carbon clincher tribe - they are a vicious bunch :whistle:

Turner101

I have 202, 303, 404 zipps in tubs and clinchers and 808 and disk tubs.... I quite happily use either under different situations.
If I had to pick one wheel I have to ride all the time it would be the 202 clincher which is just an amazing wheel to me, I am unable to explain it, justify reasoning behind it. Compared to all my other wheels I just think its the least flawed
Hello, seeing that you have an extensive zipp catalogue could you kindly share with me some of your feedback. I am currently looking to upgrade frame and wheels, the frame is looking like the S-works Tarmac, but can't decide on which version (norm or disk). It really depends on the braking, could you give me some feedback on what the zipp firecrest rim braking is like, dry/wet weather, wear and tear. I am thinking either 202 or 303 and your above comment is very helpful.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Hello, seeing that you have an extensive zipp catalogue could you kindly share with me some of your feedback. I am currently looking to upgrade frame and wheels, the frame is looking like the S-works Tarmac, but can't decide on which version (norm or disk). It really depends on the braking, could you give me some feedback on what the zipp firecrest rim braking is like, dry/wet weather, wear and tear. I am thinking either 202 or 303 and your above comment is very helpful.
by the disc tarmac, buy the disc version of the 202's or 303's and then not worry about any braking issues in wet/dry conditions. just the ride the bike and enjoy it

for clarification i just sold my zipp 202's as they scared the living death out of me on fast descents, as trying to stop a 17st guy going 40mph downhill was not their strong point from my real world point of view, Bu they were undoubtedly a very quick set of wheels

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I'm 9 stone and my carbon clinchers have trouble stopping with me on the bike so you must have been bricking it :laugh:

Top Bottom