Carbon downtube 'ding' 'squish' - repair advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
It's all opinion isn't it, right now.
Tangroup51 is spot on: the frame wants chopping.
I'd be interested to know what scale of economic loss we're talking here.
There's a wider discussion possible about your plight: once a carbon frame is toast, there's not much you can do with it. I've read that recycling carbon fibre is difficult, and that the front-end of building CF bikes is pretty dirty. From a sustainability viewpoint, there are some obvious problems.

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
It's all opinion isn't it, right now.
Tangroup51 is spot on: the frame wants chopping.
I'd be interested to know what scale of economic loss we're talking here.
There's a wider discussion possible about your plight: once a carbon frame is toast, there's not much you can do with it. I've read that recycling carbon fibre is difficult, and that the front-end of building CF bikes is pretty dirty. From a sustainability viewpoint, there are some obvious problems.
Negligible to the point it wouldn't persuade me in any way to do something I felt was immoral or dishonest. If I was £500 down I'd like to say the same (I know you all would ) but I wouldn't know until in that situation.
Interestingly a well regarded national frame building/fixing company estimated £190 for repair

Tangoup51

Say what you like, but if the damage is pointed out to the buyer the OP has done his duty, morally and every other way. Should the buyer decide to use the frame which he knows full well has a serious fault then it is down to him or her.
`

You have your ways and I have mine. That's perfectly fine.

Tangoup51

Negligible to the point it wouldn't persuade me in any way to do something I felt was immoral or dishonest. If I was £500 down I'd like to say the same (I know you all would ) but I wouldn't know until in that situation.
Interestingly a well regarded national frame building/fixing company estimated £190 for repair

£190 is a good price. If from a well regarded place, its fair dos. But you really want to make sure you have a Final price before you move in on a repair, you want everything covered, even shipping. £190 as an estimation can sky rocket considerably more after you've paid quite a few quid to give them the frame to inspect first hand. Try to get as much of a quote as possible, and from multiple sources. If there's a serious discrepancy between one firms price and another firms price, then chances are the Lower-estimating firm will beef up their prices by the time they get the frame.

- But @Kernow_T I never asked this, but did you thoroughly inspect *everywhere* else for potential damage.

Last edited:
U

User10571

FWIW I'll be receiving the repaired Scott back this weekend from the original owner / donor to fit it with some bars that are better suited to her shoulders.
Having loaned it to her after the repair, on the day she first rode it she texted me (before she'd finished her ride) with the words 'How much do you want for the Scott?'
I couldn't help but feel that this was her bike.
And not mine.
Hence it is back in her ownership.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
£190 is a good price. If from a well regarded place, its fair dos. But you really want to make sure you have a Final price before you move in on a repair, you want everything covered, even shipping. £190 as an estimation can sky rocket considerably more after you've paid quite a few quid to give them the frame to inspect first hand. Try to get as much of a quote as possible, and from multiple sources. If there's a serious discrepancy between one firms price and another firms price, then chances are the Lower-estimating firm will beef up their prices by the time they get the frame.

- But @Kernow_T I never asked this, but did you thoroughly inspect *everywhere* else for potential damage.

As much as I humanly could. Tbh I'm not going to repair it at £200

Top Bottom