Carbon downtube 'ding' 'squish' - repair advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
Thanks to seeing what CF is actually capable of, during my tenure at The Science Museum, I'd probably carry on riding that and not give it a second thought.
As Ian says I have had a CF frame repaired, one that I'd inherited as a crash damaged item.
I've a friend who, at the time, was working for MacLaren (Yes, the F1 outfit).
Thanks to him I had their CF lab look at the damaged frame and produce a report as to how to go about repairing it.
These guys:
http://carbonbikerepair.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhN6SzsPx2AIVrbvtCh1ZDAJlEAAYASAAEgJgmfD_BwE
eventually got the gig, and did a repair which went way beyond the spec which MacLaren were recommending.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
I've been tearing around on the repaired bike for the last 2 or 3 years, putting a grin on my face, it has now been put back in the hands of the original owner.
If you decide to go the carbonbikerepair route, it is worth bearing in mind that the bulk of your money will go towards finishing (Prep, paint, lacquer, stickers etc), rather than the repair.
If you are able finish it yourself ( as I was) then you'll save a fortune.
G'luck
Interested to hear how you get on.

JB
Thanks for that - really interesting and useful - I guess 'quick' 'cheap' repair is not an option

Tangoup51

Thanks for that - really interesting and useful - I guess 'quick' 'cheap' repair is not an option

There seldom is a quick and cheap way of repairing a cracked frame. Of any material. : /

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
Hmmm.
Think I may end up seeing if anyone feels competent/confident to buy it and sort themselves - is a frameset with vgc fork, headset and long carbon steerer so may well be useful and worth a punt to someone

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks to seeing what CF is actually capable of, during my tenure at The Science Museum, I'd probably carry on riding that and not give it a second thought.
OTOH ... I know one local CycleChatter who had the front of his CF bike snap off! He came round in hospital with his very worried spouse and kids at his bedside. I think I probably would NOT carry on riding the OP's bike without giving it the second thought, and then giving it a few more thoughts too! :whistle:

U

User10571

If I remember correctly, it was a couple of hundred notes to get the frame repaired to the state you can see in the photos.
The guys at carbonbikerepair were actually discouraging me from commissioning them to finish it.
Repairing frames is what they do best, I don't think finishing is their forte and it is something they'd rather not get involved in.
At least that's the impression I had.

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
That's exactly what I'm going to do - except the obvious really nice condition, fork with uncut carbon steerer and headset
I'm sure it's worth £50 to someone with the nouse/kit/knowledge to put it right??
Will go a once over and list later

Ajax Bay

Guru
Think I may end up seeing if anyone feels competent/confident to buy it and sort themselves - is a frameset with vgc fork, headset and long carbon steerer so may well be useful and worth a punt to someone
How much did you buy it for then? And did you know the down tube was cracked? Hopefully all the parts you've removed from it will mean you won't lose too much.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Cursory fly-past on this thread, and strikes me moving the frame on might just be moving on the problem / risk to someone else. If you don't think it's roadworthy and you haven't the funds to make it so, harvest the forks and parts, cut the frame up and scrap it. Who's to say the next buyer won't bodge it and flog to some mug only for it to fold under him on a crowded downhill into town?

Tangoup51

That's exactly what I'm going to do - except the obvious really nice condition, fork with uncut carbon steerer and headset
I'm sure it's worth £50 to someone with the nouse/kit/knowledge to put it right??
Will go a once over and list later

People do make business out of buying cracked carbon frames, repairing them and selling them on. Typically DIY repairs though some people get professional firms to do it on higher-end frames and make good profits.

That said, what @woodenspoons is very true. If I was you, i'd just sell the fork for £50 and bin the frame ^_^

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
Cursory fly-past on this thread, and strikes me moving the frame on might just be moving on the problem / risk to someone else. If you don't think it's roadworthy and you haven't the funds to make it so, harvest the forks and parts, cut the frame up and scrap it. Who's to say the next buyer won't bodge it and flog to some mug only for it to fold under him on a crowded downhill into town?
Like most things, no right or wrong just honest appraisals. I'm not knowledgeable/experienced enough to decipher, with a degree of certainty, roadworthiness but in good faith happy to pass it on to someone 'who can manage the "risk/problem" more effectively to the extent they may see it as an opportunity - in terms of "How do you know....?" I don't but like to trust people as an instinct and unless I felt a potential buyer was shady, would pass on with good faith and honesty.

Happy to take offers on the fork/headset.

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
How much did you buy it for then? And did you know the down tube was cracked? Hopefully all the parts you've removed from it will mean you won't lose too much.
I always feel obliged to let you know any details - a smidgen more than I'm asking (a bit more than a smidgen considering I'm posting actually)

Top Bottom