Carbon downtube 'ding' 'squish' - repair advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
If you've made the damage plain in your ad then its morally up then the buyer what they do with it.
Might not be popular but 100% agree. For the sake of a few quid (or any amount) not going to pass something to someone I have an inclination may be irresponsible in such a way obviously

Drago

Legendary Member
Just say up front, "the frame is damaged, its up to the buyer to determine if it is safe for them to use, or to arrange an effective repair". If some plum if daft enough to ignore sensible advice then that really is Darwinism at work. The species will thus endure and grow stronger.

Tangoup51

Just say up front, "the frame is damaged, its up to the buyer to determine if it is safe for them to use, or to arrange an effective repair". If some plum if daft enough to ignore sensible advice then that really is Darwinism at work. The species will thus endure and grow stronger.

But what if the buyer just fixes it up and sells it on? Wouldn't take alot of effort to cover up the damage nice and tidy and sell it at full price only for the poor sod to of bought it lose out on hundreds of quid + his teeth on crashing.

Drago

Legendary Member
That's not Kernows problem. He could sell his car unknowingly to a drink driver, or a knife unknowingly to a murderer. Kernow can only control that which is within his power to control - butterflies and hurricanes are beyond us all.

Tangoup51

That's not Kernows problem. He could sell his car unknowingly to a drink driver, or a knife unknowingly to a murderer. Kernow can only control that which is within his power to control - butterflies and hurricanes are beyond us all.

Not his problem? He's selling the broken product. That's more than half the story, it only takes a little more to make a bad ending. And all for less than £50. Probably £30 or less.

Butterflies and hurricanes are not beyond you, if you're the one selling the water vapour and you're the one selling the cocoons.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I'd say it was a bit naive of the OP to ask if there's a "make good" option for carbon fibre to start with. And for others to suggest that he has no moral obligation beyond selling on the problem is, to me, senseless. OP, you're having a clear-out: saw up the frame, learn and move on. Post a few pics of the bits, it might give your trading rep a boost.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'd say it was a bit naive of the OP to ask if there's a "make good" option for carbon fibre to start with. And for others to suggest that he has no moral obligation beyond selling on the problem is, to me, senseless. OP, you're having a clear-out: saw up the frame, learn and move on. Post a few pics of the bits, it might give your trading rep a boost.
Provided he makes it plain to the buyer that the frame is damaged then he has no other moral obligation. If the buyer is a scammer who sells it on as undamaged that is a separate issue and nothing to do with the OP. I have sold a driveable car for spares or repair as it was knackered and would never have passed another MoT. I do not know what the buyer did with it, he could have ebayed it as a good runner for all I know, but that would have been nothing to do with me, morally or otherwise. I was honest and upfront about it's condition.

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
As I have been and will be
Good point well made - and before anyone says but if a buyer is a scammer I/we as seller would be complicit in their actions, just don't.
I'm looking, conscientious and thoughtful... but no Mother Theresa

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
As long as it is sold as damaged and buyer beware (just as his advert already is) then I see no problem at all. Someone might want to buy it to practice carbon repair as a project or even just to put it on their wall.

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
Get your point but to me 'make good' is a positive term as opposed to 'make do' which suggests corner cutting .
Thanks for input and advice

Tangoup51

Provided he makes it plain to the buyer that the frame is damaged then he has no other moral obligation. If the buyer is a scammer who sells it on as undamaged that is a separate issue and nothing to do with the OP. I have sold a driveable car for spares or repair as it was knackered and would never have passed another MoT. I do not know what the buyer did with it, he could have ebayed it as a good runner for all I know, but that would have been nothing to do with me, morally or otherwise. I was honest and upfront about it's condition.

How can you make it out to anyone that the frame is damaged? The frame isn't damaged. It's destroyed. That crack has a high chance of failure being so close to the bottom bracket and the torque forces applied there, if you put the power in at some point It'd sheer the down tube off and then the top tube will immediately follow, literally splitting the bike in half.

It's one thing to sell your old car that'd break down, but its another thing to sell your old car that'd... well, break in half.

Carbon fibre is incredibly good at alerting you about when a crack has occurred, but it's not so good when that crack comes to fruition. It's a very toxic product to ignore when it shows the warning signs.

You can choose your moral obligations as you wish, I just don't think it's good practice to put up destroyed goods online and advertise them as 'damaged, possible repair' or anything alike that. It doesn't sit right with me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
Will remove sales' post as wouldn't want anyone to think badly, albeit actions are honest and in good faith (naive or otherwise).
Worth continuing the discussion though I'd say

OP
OP
Kernow_T

Kernow_T

Über Member
Also interesting is the abstract area between fact/opinion.
I take with equal credibility, as they are made with good faith I believe, the comments on here that range from - "it's fine, ride it, to 'DIY job should see it ok', to 'certain death if you as much as look at it'. Quite legitimately people will suggest 'erring' on the side caution.
Most interesting and very much appreciated

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
How can you make it out to anyone that the frame is damaged? The frame isn't damaged. It's destroyed. That crack has a high chance of failure being so close to the bottom bracket and the torque forces applied there, if you put the power in at some point It'd sheer the down tube off and then the top tube will immediately follow, literally splitting the bike in half.
Say what you like, but if the damage is pointed out to the buyer the OP has done his duty, morally and every other way. Should the buyer decide to use the frame which he knows full well has a serious fault then it is down to him or her.

Top Bottom