Carbon Fibre Frames; Why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I was going to buy the exact same bike but then decided on a Focus Izalco - still love that colour though. Although they had some shocking pink ones which were quite nice too - in a metrosexual way of course.
Nowt wrong with pink bikes.

outlash

also available in orange
I was out on a club run once with a mate who was wearing a pink gilet, all the while some of the group were extracting the urine about said gilet. I don't ride with the club anymore.

Tony.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The blue is quite a cool colour!
I managed to break the compression bung when shortening the carbon steerer, so I ordered a standard size head doctor from Evans but it was too big-1"1/8....
Took it back and got it exchanged for a smaller one. Don't know what size it was.
The external measurement of the steerer is 1"1/8 but the internal is 15/16ths if that's any help. It fitted perfectly.
Have you got a particular groupset and wheels in mind for your build?
I'm not sure about the build. I'm not in any hurry and my original intention was to swap the 105/Tiagra mix across from my Veranti and sell the old frame (Which is not so old and still pristine) but I may instead look for a Veloce groupset and sell the Veranti complete.

We'll see.

Isn't one of the objects of life to get to a position where you have more money than sense?

I certainly feel the sense draining away as I get older, and the money supply seems to be holding up!

pawl

Legendary Member
I bought the Ultegra version about three months ago. Great bike, very responsive and comfortable.
I got white btw.
Me to

oldroadman

Veteran
Isn't one of the objects of life to get to a position where you have more money than sense?

I certainly feel the sense draining away as I get older, and the money supply seems to be holding up!
I couldn't agree more. Life's for living, if you like it and can afford it, why not? riding a nice bike just...feels better. Even when the suffer man is hitting you with his hammer. You can look down and say "why did I spend all that money to feel like this?". Then comes the descent on a sunny day, and all is forgiven.:smile:

Idoru

Over priced, over-rated and completely un-necessary for the ordinary cyclist. People who buy one must have more money than sense.

Anyway, I've just ordered this :blush:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXPCRFFDP/planet-x-pro-carbon-road-frameset

If only I had room for another bike, or had amassed enough goodwill with the good lady, or had the ability to build from scratch, or the money, I'd probably pick that up at that price.

Hell I'm still tempted, even with all the above conditions!

It's only the fact that I've been relaibly informed that carbon bikes are made from carbolic soap (it's obvious look at the words!!!) and disolves in even a light drizzle meaning that in Wales I could probably only ride it on two afternoons (non-consecutive) in August.

DWiggy

Über Member
Oh cock, I just got a new Ali frame set for £200....just another £99 and I could have had carbon.....Meh!!!!

Why? Why indeed? You've obviously found the answer though - enjoy it SJ, while you can!!

'And they crack in two if you drop anything on them' - so true. Or maybe I was just unlucky.

Top Bottom