Carbon fibre seatpost - Ruined?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redjedi

Über Member
I've just taken the seatpost out of my new bike (less than a month old) and noticed it was quite badly scuffed. Is this a terminal problem, and do I need to replace it straight away?

This is the seatpost in question

DSC00119.jpg

I think it happened when I took it out. It was a bit stiff so I gave it a bit of a twist until it came out.

Is it just cosmetic damage which can be repaired?

This is the area where it clamps in

DSC00120.jpg

This bit looks a bit worse. I was always very careful when tightening the clamp, but perhaps I was a bit heavy handed.

I've moved the clamp around so it tightens on the front now, and the post slid back in fairly easily (no grease used), but this is my first CF seatpost and I'm a bit worried :rofl:

What do you reckon?

yenrod

Red - its downhill after this with them ! i'm getting a Ti' variant of s.post as CF is a total and utter waste of money ! ! !

What Steve said.

I had a CF post slide into the frame once when I'd undertightened the clamp. That was about five years ago and it's still giving me good service.

lukesdad

used a carbon seat post for years doesnt look too bad, why are you taking it out if you do it to often it will get damaged especially if its not in a carbon frameset.

MajorMantra

It's hard to be sure from a photo but that looks purely cosmetic. If there's no 'give' or evidence of deeper cracking I'd use it without hesitation.

You know you can get some carbon-specific paste so you don't have to tighten it up quite as much? Note that this is very different to the grease you'd use on a metal seatpost.

Matthew

yenrod

Let me tell all you lot having a had a carbon fibre seatpost 'go' on myself which was a Campagnolo Record - I wont be rushing to buy one, again!

Though I do have a USE Ti variant lined up ! :cry:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yep - it's just the lacquer. Mine has looked exactly like that for years and it gets hammered on my hardtail MTB. I don't worry about it at all, it's far stronger than you can ever imagine.

OP
OP
redjedi

redjedi

Über Member
Phew.

So it's good to go.

I was dreading having to buy yet another bike part. I've just spent another £100 on bits and pieces, and even then I had to leave a few bits out until next month.

Thanks all

Top Bottom