Carbon scuffs/scratches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere - searched but couldn't find anything..

The 2nd hand carbon bike I'm about to buy is pretty scuffed up in places. I wondered if there was any way of getting them to look a little less conspicuous?? (don't want someone thinking it was me that caused them!:tongue:)

Ta muchly

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Meguiar's has a bunch of auto detailing items to use and the names are of their products. This is the method used for automobile/motorcycle pieces. This assumes these are surface scratches and not gouges or scrapes that have compromised the integrity of the clear coat/gel coat. Also you need to determine if buying the cleaning supplies is worth the cost but these same products and methods work for paint too. You can search on Meguiar's web site and get this same information.

Wipe down with Quick Detailer to remove loose dust/dirt
Clay with Smooth Surface Clay Kit to remove above surface bonded contaminants (Optional if the piece is very small)
Clean it using M80 Speed Glaze with a foam polishing pad
Protect it using NXT Tech Wax with a finishing pad
Remove the dried wax with a microfiber towel

This forum thread shows some pretty bad scuffs on a carbon car bonnet taken out with the products.
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?16430-S2Ki-com-at-Meguiar-s!-October-21st!&highlight=carbon fiber

Hth

Globalti

Legendary Member
Blimey! Just nip to Halfrauds and buy a rattle can of clear lacquer, mask off the bits you don't want to overspray and apply two or three coats of lacquer to the scuffed bit, then get out and ride.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Be careful, T Cut is very abrasive as it's a cutting compound designed to remove layers of paint. You'd do better to use car polish.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I'm after a quick & easy option, so shall try a bit of t-cut. If it doesn't work so well I shall ignore them....:rolleyes:

NOOOooooooooo
T-Cut gets between the fibres of the carbon and the chemicals can break down the bonding resin, its not advisable to use this at all.
You would be better using a slightly abrasive water based household cleaner such as CIF or a car polish

Globalti

Legendary Member
CIF is even more abrasive than T Cut!

T Cut contains solvents, which are very penetrative.

Car polish will leave nice shiny wax on the frame so don't use it before spraying with lacquer.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You could get the entire frame re-lacquered. Atlantic Finishers in Bury will do it for you as well as any other frame painter, I've seen the result and the frame looks like new.

OP
OP
hopless500

hopless500

Trundling along
It belongs to a friend of a friend (but we know them fairly well too) and they have had it sitting in a shed since she upgraded...... heard I was about to travel to look at a bike and she offered hers to try, and buy if I liked it. They got it half price when they bought it new and they're not too fussed about making money out of it.

Top Bottom