Carbon wheels - Should I bother ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Not much point, can't ride a bike comfortably right now...although the new one does have Fulcrum 5's ;) They were however not a grand!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'd get a new bike before spending that much on wheels!
yes, was wondering just that. How much does a bike cost that warrants one thousand pounds in wheels? Guess the inners and tyres are not included?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
For your average joe no need for £1000+ wheels! however there is a noticeable difference with light and stiff wheels! Even at the cheaper end.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Does your average joe need to drive a ferrari, porsche, maclaren mercerdes. No prob not,but they do cause the want too

Simples

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't think the average Joe does drive supercars, at least not around these parts :smile: South Wales may be a different kettle of cod!

I don't think a £1000 pair of wheels would do anything for my cycling given my size, weight and state of my leg and knee, so would be a complete waste of money...even if they didn't look so ugly :whistle:

And from what's been said, they are no good on rubbish roads and ALL the roads round here are a disaster!

BUT if you think they are worth it to you and you have the cash, then go for it, but I am not sure I'd stick them on a triban :biggrin:

jowwy

I don't think the average Joe does drive supercars, at least not around these parts :smile: South Wales may be a different kettle of cod!

I don't think a £1000 pair of wheels would do anything for my cycling given my size, weight and state of my leg and knee, so would be a complete waste of money...even if they didn't look so ugly :whistle:

And from what's been said, they are no good on rubbish roads and ALL the roads round here are a disaster!

BUT if you think they are worth it to you and you have the cash, then go for it, but I am not sure I'd stick them on a triban :biggrin:
evryone i see driving these cars are average joes vickster - unless they race them for a living then thats what they are

so why can't your average joe cyclist spend 1k on wheels????

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
evryone i see driving these cars are average joes vickster - unless they race them for a living then thats what they are

Because his wife would kill him :laugh:

adscrim

Veteran
I'd rather spend £1k on wheels than £20 a week on fags/booze/coffee/some other thing you could spend £20 a week on and not notice.

vickster

Legendary Member

I suppose it depends on your definition of average Joe, I would say you need to be earning a significantly higher than average salary to own and run a £100k+ car, and have a large disposable income with no big mortgage, no rugrats to support etc. I certainly couldn't and I have a higher than average salary, a small mortgage and no rugrats. Nor would I want to, a bit like spending £1k on wheels (and I don't drink much, don't smoke although I do like a latte!)

jowwy

The thing is vickster - it doesnt matter what you earn or how you spend it.

Some people o her a saying why would the average cyclist want to spend 1k on a set of wheels???

My answer is why would people spend
100k+ on a sportscar???

The answer to both is because thats what they want to do. Its not upto anybody on here to question their purchase. Whether the purchase is £1 or £1k

vickster

Legendary Member
Fine, but my initial point was having a decent bike as a priority to put them on, frame most important. I don't know what the OP rides currently, what he wants to put the carbon wheels on, but he is looking to buy / build a new bike from his other posts, so isn't it better to do that first before dropping a grand on wheels?

I think men buy 100k sportscars because they either have a) no sense if they can't afford it, b) have more money than sense c) have so much money it doesn't matter or d) they are compensating for other inadequacies :whistle::giggle:

Onyer

Fine, but my initial point was having a decent bike as a priority to put them on, frame most important. I don't know what the OP rides currently, what he wants to put the carbon wheels on, but he is looking to buy / build a new bike from his other posts, so isn't it better to do that first before dropping a grand on wheels?

I think men buy 100k sportscars because they either have a) no sense if they can't afford it, b) have more money than sense c) have so much money it doesn't matter or d) they are compensating for other inadequacies :whistle::giggle:
d) Personal experience????

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
yes, was wondering just that. How much does a bike cost that warrants one thousand pounds in wheels? Guess the inners and tyres are not included?

I'd spend at least as much as the bikes original value on wheels if I could! Don't forget good wheels not only make a huge difference but they move with you from bike to bike!

Top Bottom