Carbon wheels - Should I bother ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get some Dura Ace C24, Fulcrum Racing Zeros or Mavic Ksyrium/R-Sys. Not deep section, but light and fantastic all round wheels for all round cycling.

vickster

Legendary Member
d) Personal experience????

Fortunately not, I steer clear of men with super cars! The one bloke I know who owns an Aston is a complete k**b

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Does your average joe need to drive a ferrari, porsche, maclaren mercerdes. No prob not,but they do cause the want too

Simples

I have no problem with that at all, if its a status symbal all fine and well :laugh: Personally I would find it hard to justify spending that amount unless I was a serious cyclist, i.e racing, triathlon etc of which I know some who would for that extra 1%. However I doubt very much £1000 wheels transform my ride. Although as I originally posted lighter wheels are noticeable, whether £1000 wheel over my current ones were 5 x better I doubt very much.

Another question is of course, if you bought said wheels and they got trashed could you afford to replace them with another set?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I have no problem with that at all, if its a status symbal all fine and well :laugh: Personally I would find it hard to justify spending that amount unless I was a serious cyclist, i.e racing, triathlon etc of which I know some who would for that extra 1%. However I doubt very much £1000 wheels transform my ride. Although as I originally posted lighter wheels are noticeable, whether £1000 wheel over my current ones were 5 x better I doubt very much.

Another question is of course, if you bought said wheels and they got trashed could you afford to replace them with another set?
If you got your wheels insured with crash protection. Yes

Could i afford to replace them if i trashed them without crash protection. Yes

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'd spend at least as much as the bikes original value on wheels if I could! Don't forget good wheels not only make a huge difference but they move with you from bike to bike!
Do even good wheels not wear out? What is the most expensive component of a wheel? I guess the hub?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Do even good wheels not wear out? What is the most expensive component of a wheel? I guess the hub?

They will yes, but most people only use their good wheels for racing or recreation (sportives, summer club runs etc). They don't tend to use a pair of ENVE's to commute :tongue: A good set of wheels, used as intended will last YEARS, just as cheaper wheels would if you treat them with the same degree of care! It is riding in crap weather, stop start cycling (like commuting) and poor cleaning regime that does rims over.

My racing wheels braking surface looks pretty much unmarked after 40+ races.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I suspect if you raced 40 crits you may see more rim wear than 40 tt's and hill climbs. :whistle:

OP
OP
SteCenturion

SteCenturion

I am your Father
What bike do you have now Ste ?
Hi Cuchilo.

Sorry - been off line a while doing work/family stuff so not much down time.

I ride a Sintesi Z2 (2012) I got in late 2013 from Tweeks Cycles (the only U.K dealer).

It's a real beauty & a keeper - but having been bitten by the bug (I only started more seriously when I bought this) I have gotten greedy (what with all the beautiful/great bikes available).

The plan/pipe dream for the next 18 months is - Carbon wheels (possibly) new C2W bike (Cube Peloton Race 2014) - & if I can get enough o.t & sell a guitar or two - a Fondreist TF3 frame (given up on the TCR for now).

All of this obviously dependent on funding as job is under threat (local government worker/cuts etc).

Will post the bike photos up one day - when I catch up with all this techno wizardry).

Top Bottom