Carbon wheels - Should I bother ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Carbon wheels - Should I bother ?

After almost completely giving up on my quest to find the right next bike (other than the C2W Cube Peloton I will get summer '14) - I have a crush on upgrading my current bike wheels for Fast Forward F4R FCC (Full Carbon Clinchers).

These carbon Hoops come in at 1640g & have a 45mm profile/sidewall.

I kinda know they are not as light as some (Zipp, Mavic etc) but I can currently get them under the £1k mark.

Having sold my aluminium Ritchey WCS Zeta wheelset (unused) to a mate (1545g - titanium skewers),
Will a carbon 'Aero' wheelset actually be an upgrade or would I be throwing my cash down the pan ?

Answers on a postcard pls.

N.B - Tubs are much lighter - but how hard is it to mend a puncture on a tubular on a solo ride with no back up Team Sky car & mechanic to help ?

Anybody know ?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Take a look at http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41391. I'd suggest that you'd never mend a tub on the ride, unless you have time on your hands (lots of it), and you are prepared to carry all the kit required:headshake:Carry a spare (or two) traditionally wrapped in a piece of oilskin, strapped under the saddle, with a redundant leather toestrap.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
all the weightweenies will tell you how great carbon wheels are, however my wee neighbour has wheels from here http://www.topolinotech.com/index.php ignore the wheel chair wheels they also do bike wheels, gets them on the bay for £300 sometimes a pair. Only issue is that if they need repaired or break got to send them back to the states.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I use a FFWD disc wheel and trispoke and can vouch for the quality. FFWD tend to be a good compromise between price, quality and technology. However I am not convinced by the wheels you are referring to, at least not in clincher format. 45mm is not that deep really and 1600+g is not that light, i.e. unless they have a very well designed profile, they won't be particularly aero, not particularly good climbing wheels.

What exactly do you want from a wheelset?

OP
OP
SteCenturion

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I use a FFWD disc wheel and trispoke and can vouch for the quality. FFWD tend to be a good compromise between price, quality and technology. However I am not convinced by the wheels you are referring to, at least not in clincher format. 45mm is not that deep really and 1600+g is not that light, i.e. unless they have a very well designed profile, they won't be particularly aero, not particularly good climbing wheels.

What exactly do you want from a wheelset?
A bit more Aero for a similar weight to the Ritcheys I sold - don't mind slightly heavier.

Also a bit more 'comfort' from the carbon element of things.

The FCC - full carbon clinchers are 1640g & only available in 45 mm sidewall size.

Tubular versions come in a lot lighter at around 1200 - 1300g but the thought of puncturing on a ride scares me to death with tubs.

To get the 58 mm version I would have to get the carbon/alu version clincher with alu brake track & these are heavy at approx 1800g so aero benefits are cancelled by the weight gain.

FFWD carbon wheels seem to be the best compromise in terms of Quality/Price & I don't have Zipp/Enve/Mavic money.

Mavic also have a bad rep for failures when I have researched them so no trust there.

Last edited:

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I would not go near a wheel of that depth and weight, unless I lived somewhere flat like Holland. IMHO it has far more negatives than positives.
I would personally want at least a 58mm rim depth for 1640g

Deep full carbon wheels also offer little comfort, they are stiff and unforgiving from my experience.

OP
OP
SteCenturion

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I would not go near a wheel of that depth and weight, unless I lived somewhere flat like Holland. IMHO it has far more negatives than positives.
I would personally want at least a 58mm rim depth for 1640g

Deep full carbon wheels also offer little comfort, they are stiff and unforgiving from my experience.
Just the man !

Are there any options I have overlooked Mr H ?

My budget would be £1k MAX.

I also really like Easton wheels as I run Alu EA50 Aero's as well as American Classic Aero 3 420's (both Alu & happy with both).

Easton have the new 55's coming out but are way out of reach for now.

OP
OP
SteCenturion

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Just done some surfing & found that Eastons New 2014 EC90 Aero 55's are retailing at £1800 pair (1580g clinchers).

So way way beyond budget.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
For a grand I would personally consider a really outstanding set of hand built with ceramic bearings.

Although deep dish carbon wheels look fantastic they are in reality a pain to live with on UK roads, they are harsh on anything other than smooth roads and even wheels with outstanding crosswind performance like zipp firecrests and lightweights can become rather interesting at times. If they were that good Imho I would not own seven different sets of wheels.

FFWD and Roval are the best carbon wheels I have ridden based on price performance but after that your in the world of Zipp, ENVE and Lightweight

OP
OP
SteCenturion

SteCenturion

I am your Father
O.k Mr H, Col & other peeps.

Done some more digging.

Zipp 303 firecrest clinchers - best price £1600 from Merlin (1540g 45mm profile) so -100g saving for + £600- £700.

Zipp 404 firecrest clinchers - £1600 @ Merlin again - (1615g 58mm profile) so 35g saving over the 45mm FFWD set but around 200g lighter than FFWD - 58's.

No doubting the quality though.

All in all the Zipp 303's would come in just 5g lighter than the Ritchey WCS & 404's 70g heavier but both would be significantly more Aero.

Zipp's then will remain a pipe dream for now.

The plan - either A) get the FFWD 45's or wait 'till 2015 & try to get some 2014 Easton EC 90 Aero 55's reduced (1580g @ 55mm profile).

Top Bottom