Careful with that inside filtering...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cab said:
Remember, this is in Cambridge. The bloke is a local. If you're not expecting to see bikes undertaking in Cambridge then you really, really should.

I'm not trying to say that the cyclist was smart here, I mean you have to be really careful at turn offs and keep your wits about you and it sounds a little like the cyclist didn't. But at the same time, it really doesn't work for me that a local motorist didn't see that coming.

The motorist was in the wrong - they turned across a stream of traffic without knowing it was safe.

But, paraphrasing you, it really doesn't work for me that a local cyclist didn't see that coming.

OP
OP
Cab

Cab

John Ponting said:
The motorist was in the wrong - they turned across a stream of traffic without knowing it was safe.

But, paraphrasing you, it really doesn't work for me that a local cyclist didn't see that coming.

Oh, I agree, any cyclist should see that coming. I certainly can't dispute that. It just seems to me, because there are so many bikes on the roads here, that the motorist should have been smarter to that risk.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Had the opposite in the car. Get to a busy junction, wanting to turn right, thro slow/stood traffic.
Car approaching from right stops before the junction to let you out (flashes)

The amount of times the final look right before proceeding has revealed a (usually 'L' plated) motorbike shooting straight down the outside, just in the opposite carriageway, 30mph and way too close to what they're overtaking....

Now when I undertook m'cycle training years ago, they taught you "Assume everyone else on the road is a d**khead. If theres a junction, the waiting car WILL pull out." They taught you to be road aware. Look into junctions as you approach, pass wide etc.

Its stuck with me, I tend to drive with the same frame of mind, which is possibly why I've never had one go over the bonnet.

i hate people who flash others to 'let them go', how many times have you seen at pelican crossings a person waiting, someone rolls up and flashes as a signal that they can start walking and another car does'nt stop and wizzes by! the car drivers should not assume responsibilty for the other road users...the last time someone flashed without checking their mirrors i spent time in hospital, the surgery helped as did the metal screws that keep my right arm in the socket but i would love to carry a heavy shopping bag in that right hand, sleep on that side of my body etc... i am now a very cautious rider!

I had a very close shave today, on an otherwise fantastic ride.

I was giving it some down a long, shallow hill and was hovering around 53km/h. A van on the other side of the road flashed a car waiting in a turning, who duly pulled out!

I was riding on the RHS of the lane, right where a motorbike would be. I had covered my brakes as std. operating proceedure because of the turning, and scrubbed a little speed off as the muppet pulled out.

After fighting a headwind up a long slow incline at a meagre 22km/h, on super high friction road surface, when I got the reward of lovely smooth tarmac and a looooooooooong shallow descent to scream down, I was less than happy that some ninny comes and spoils it by risking my neck!

I cut it very fine between the car and the van, and came alongside the drivers window just long enough to bellow "Use your eyes woman!" before dropping back behind her. The look of pure, wide-eyed ohmygodwherethef**kdidhejustcomefrom that was plastered all over her face told me that she indeed completely failled to look.

Im glad I wasn't on my motorbike doing 60mph down there.

Tynan

Veteran
flash of lights speaks only for the person flashing lights, of course they're not speaking for all other vehicles

and of course someone turning across traffic has to consider all oncoming vehicles, that they can't see the oncoming bike, motorbike is no defence at all

passing on the outside makes you just as vulnerable to people pulling out of junctions, perhaps more so as some drivers don't expect to see bikes 'out there'

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Tynan said:
and of course someone turning across traffic has to consider all oncoming vehicles, that they can't see the oncoming bike, motorbike is no defence at all

Couldn't agree more. As I said I always check right etc.

Just seems to me I'm seeing a lot more mopeds etc over the last few years. I got the bike licence before my car licence. Took training, but before CBT came out.

Maybe its just 'yoofs on bikes'. Seems strange, I assume the training is just as good, but the riding doesn't always show evidence.

Then again we talk about dodgy drivers, dodgy cyclists, why should the scooter boys be any different?

Top Bottom