Carradice saddlebag vs rack bag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

humboldt

Recently carrying even my little messenger bag with the bare minimum has become extremely uncomfortable in this heat, so I was going to get a Super C pannier or two but sadly my oversized rack won't take them. I could get a pair of small Ortlieb panniers for a good price from SJS but the shiny tarp look just doesn't go with my bike in my opinion (for reference: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/anyone-else-aiming-for-a-more-relaxed-commute.234918/).
While I wait for Carradice to manufacture more of the little pannier adaptor rails, which they've told me won't be any time soon, I've thought about either getting one of their lovely green saddlebags since I have the necessary loops on my Brooks (and the honey leather matches my saddle nicely) or the Super C rack pbag which fixes to the rack with velcro.
carradice_pash2.jpg

3638338424_fb6a4b23cf_z.jpg

I usually take at least one D-lock, my packed lunch in a small tupperware container, a little multi-tool, a rolled up windbreaker or poncho depending on the wind and rain forecast, my sunglasses, wallet, phone etc, and sometimes a fleece or jumper and dry socks depending on the season. I'm not intending to carry a lot of shopping home in these but it would be nice to be able to fit in a packet of pasta, a tin of tomatoes and a bottle of beer for example.
The saddlebags look to have a bit more space but are a bit fiddly to remove if it's needed (I don't always get a bike shed depending on the office I'm at so wouldn't feel confident leaving the bag on the bike in some areas even if I have taken the contents with me). The sprung saddle unfortunately conflicts with any of the quick release racks other than the SQR, and that system seems like it's for people who lack the saddle loops anyway and adds on another £30. The rack bag is obviously easier to take off but isn't quite as handsome, although I think it does still look good. There seem to be a lot of die-hard fans of Carradice's saddlebags but not so many vocal proponents of the rack bag - anyone care to give an opinion?
I know, I could just get the Ortliebs and forget it, but aesthetics play a big part too in making a purchase. I don't think they are ugly panniers before any Ortlieb fans jump in, just prefer other things for this bike in particular.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have the green Barley in the pic above. That’s my vote. You can get a quick release mechanism but it may not fit with your rack fitted. Small frames tricky.

Ortlieb do QR trunk bags which are very good.

OP
OP
humboldt

humboldt

Those Ortlieb trunk bags are not bad actually; quite subdued and not too shiny, although I do like the look of waxed canvas more. I'll put them on my list if I can find a good deal on one, thanks.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I use both types and other than looks there's not much in it although my top bags are Topeak with the Quicklok slide mechanisms, for looks though my 'Longflap' is lovely even more so with the matching 'Kendal' panniers.

DSCN0179.JPG

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Excuse me for straying from the "Buy Moar Stuf" orthodoxy, but you could loop the shoulder strap round the seat post and fix the messenger bag to the top of the rack with a couple of cam-buckle straps (or one if you feel brave). I often do that when I want to travel lighter at the destination than carry around a longflap saddlebag or panniers - possibly including my current avatar, by the looks of it.

I don't like velcro rack-top bags. I've never had a Super C but every one I've had has eventually lolled lopsided. Probably I overload them, but are they really intended only for filling with feathers? I'd go for the saddlebag and try to figure out how to mod it for quick-release.

OP
OP
humboldt

humboldt

I should really give a proper try at bodging the messenger onto the rack; in the long term I'd like something more waterproof though. This is just something I bought from Muji years ago that will resist a shower for about 2 minutes then soak everything inside.
@raleighnut , love the Kendal panniers too! It's a slippery slope getting one thing then the matching everything else - if I get the green saddlebag I can see myself finding a reason to buy some green Kendals as well.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I should really give a proper try at bodging the messenger onto the rack; in the long term I'd like something more waterproof though. This is just something I bought from Muji years ago that will resist a shower for about 2 minutes then soak everything inside.
Most of mine are about that good but that's what rain covers are for. :dry:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I have the SuperC rack bag. I used to have the Barley but found my legs would catch on it. The SuperC is really stable on the rack, has quick release buckles, and the velcro can be undone quick enough if you need to remove it. There is enough capacity for what you mention. I also have fitted some elasticated cord through those D rings you can see, so I can secure a jacket or waterproof to the top if the weather warrants it, and the bag is rammed with other stuff.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have the SuperC rack bag. I used to have the Barley but found my legs would catch on it. The SuperC is really stable on the rack, has quick release buckles, and the velcro can be undone quick enough if you need to remove it. There is enough capacity for what you mention. I also have fitted some elasticated cord through those D rings you can see, so I can secure a jacket or waterproof to the top if the weather warrants it, and the bag is rammed with other stuff.
Yep the downside of having plenty of 'luggage' capacity is you end up filling it with stuff.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Rack packs require a rack with a full width top, like a Cargo rather than a Fly or Vega, in Tubus terms, can't be had in a larger capacity, and do sometimes have a tendency to flop over. They aren't particularly quick to fit or remove, but are quicker than undoing bag loop buckles.

Saddlebags are available in a range of sizes to suit. If strapped to B17 bag loops, they are slow to fit or remove, and may irritate by tapping on the back of your thigh every pedal stroke. There are alternative fixing systems that are quick attach/release and move the bag just far back to avoid your legs. Unfortunately, that's extra cost. (Bagman QR, saddle rails; SQR, seatpost; Classic, B17 loops).

I use a Nelson Longflap, with a Bagman QR fitting (without the support bit), and a rack underneath to do the supporting, or take panniers for occasions where I want more space, like touring or the supermarket.
It's possibly a bit large for lunchbox, waterproofs and fleece, but stuff is easier to get at if a bag isn't tightly packed, and extra shopping space is available.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Rack packs require a rack with a full width top, like a Cargo rather than a Fly or Vega, in Tubus terms, can't be had in a larger capacity...

With the exception of the Ortlieb trunk bag as it has a ‘skeleton’ that supports it on skinny racks. It worked perfectly on my Tubus and it has a quick release mech so you can clip it on and off in seconds.

Last edited:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I have a Super C Barley on a QR bagman and a Super C Rack bag which I normally fit to a Tortec Ultralite. Both are very good bags. I think I prefer the Rack bag though. The lid is more waterproof as the cotton duck reaches over the sides of the bag so doesn't expose any of the rip-stop on the closure.

One consideration is how much seat post you have, as that may limit the bag you can get (either because a saddlebag catches the rear tyre, or because the rack bag doesn't fit between the saddle and the top of the rack.

34701655210_93d8e98c33.jpg
DSCF4085.JPG

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Just an idea, but if you decide on a rack pack, have a look at LOMO.
Scottish company making bombproof kit for very little money.
They do a tail pack that will fit to a rack using velcro and clips. Totally waterproof roll top design.

http://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/dry-bike-tail-bag.html#SID=152

I use this on my CX with a post mounted rack.

Very good recommendation. I have owned Lomo and they are great value and bomb proof. I like in the video they recommend the stash pocket is for a Mars Bar. Good old Scottish nutrition.

Top Bottom