Carrera Virtuoso front crank

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cp40Carl

Über Member
Ok, so I picked up an old Carrera Virtuoso, the black and blue model from around 2011, for about £100. It needs a new cassette (Shimano HG 50 8 speed 12 - 25t) which seem cheap enough online. I also need a new front crank. The current crank is described as being a Prowheel Gloria, forged alloy, 170mm arms, square taper, 110bcd, steel rings. Can't seem to find one of these, anyone found a suitable replacement? It's also described as being 'compact' if that makes any difference.

These would do - from a quick googling of Square Taper Compact Double Crankset: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chainsets/alloy-compact-double-square-taper-chainset-5034t-170mm

OP
OP
Cp40Carl

Cp40Carl

Über Member
Brilliant, thanks Specialeyes.

I ordered a shim and hg50 12-25 rear cassette but just counted the teeth on my bike and it is a 12-26 cassette! Will the 12-25 still work do you know?

OP
OP
Cp40Carl

Cp40Carl

Über Member
Phew! Thanks again. As you can see, I'm pretty useless at this but at keen to learn I suppose. Thanks again for the advice. It's only a budget bike I know but I'm kinda fond of it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yup any square taper crank will do, may as well change the BB while your at it imho.
I have just bought a new crankset for my vanquish so i am considering swapping it out .The old one was a octalink (?) BB with 50/36 chainrings that are less than 6 months old, new BB ordered for it this week too :smile:
Do you need a new crank or just new chain-rings as you can order them separately as long asyyou get the same bcd and number of arm/holes .
http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b2s149...LIGHT/Components-Gears-Chainrings-Stronglight

OP
OP
Cp40Carl

Cp40Carl

Über Member
Thanks Cyberknight, I think I could probably get away with just purchasing new chain rings for now so this is really helpful advice. I've learnt a lot in a day (and got out for a great ride this afternoon - bonus). I'll start checking the link you sent me.

Just thinking, do I also need to ensure that the chainring is an 8 speed one, to match my cassette?

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
It's also described as being 'compact'
'Compact' is the euphemism for a 50-34t crankset and the 110 bcd allows both 34 and 50 chainrings to be bolted on through the same holes. Any new chainrings you get must be 110bcd and I recommend you stick to 50/34.
any square taper crank will do, may as well change the BB while your at it imho.
For a bike such as the one you describe, imho I recommend you don't gratuitously change the bottom bracket (BB). More work and expense. If you do choose to, check the material of the left hand side of the BB. If it's plastic then worth trying to remove it from the right side first as the BB will likely be very tight and the plastic may break up (since it's a few years old). The RHS will be metal (and be in even tighter). Hope I am putting you off changing the BB!
do I also need to ensure that the chainring is an 8 speed one
A 9 speed one will be fine and probably a 10 will too. The chain and cassette and STIs (gear change levers) need to be the same speed but the chainrings are less specific. Just make sure they're 110bcd and have the correct number of holes.
If you're replacing the cassette I recommend you also replace the chain, or at least measure it (needs to be <100.75% of original length). The old chain may be elongated and immediately cause disproportionate wear on the cassette, and may skate.

Finally why do you think you need to change the crankset anyway? What's the problem? Unless the chainrings are bent these normally go on for ever, and the small chainring is likely to have less wear than the large one. See this thread for chainring images and discussion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cp40Carl

Cp40Carl

Über Member
image.jpeg
Ajax, you're a star, thanks for this info. I bought a new chain at the same time as the cassette. I was thinking I'd need to replace the chain set as well - it looks a little worn but maybe I don't need to after all, what do you think...

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have resurrected a fair few bikes and cranksets are normally rather low in the 'replacement' heirarchy, unless visibly damaged. Yours looks fine, to the extent that I can tell from the image. Bit of GT85 and a clean and use and they're good to go. For the cost of one chainwheel you can replace all the cables including the outers which will likely make a rather greater contribution to a smooth running machine.

OP
OP
Cp40Carl

Cp40Carl

Über Member
Great, thanks Ajax. I've just replaced all my gear cables, which is when I noticed how bad my cassette was and then thought about my chain rings.

Got new cassette and chain on order and will leave chain rings. I didn't want to spend much as this is a budget bike so that's great. Appreciate the advice. I'll get scrubbing then!

OP
OP
Cp40Carl

Cp40Carl

Über Member
Thanks Cyberknight. It seems ok (I'm hoping that the previous owner changed the BB before I bought it but might see if I've still got his number to check this) so may leave for now. Was thinking of upgrading bike next year alrhough if decide to keep will have another think about BB. Thanks for the advice. I'd I was going to replace the crank I'd have considered it but thanks to Ajax think I'll save some cash and just get a new tin of GT85.

Top Bottom