Carried my bike 2 miles: was it unnecessary?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Had a flat on my fixie 2 miles from work. I haven't really thought about carrying a spanner along with me..

I wasn't especially worried about the wheels, but I imagined pushing it a couple of miles would chew the tyre sidewalls of the Luganos.

Am I a chump? A couple of people looked at me like I was a bit weird for letting s bicycle ride me.

arch684

Veteran
What else did you not think of carrying,pump tyre levers spare tube etc?

vickster

Legendary Member
You do need to add a spanner to the bag. And money for a taxi. And better tyres, I don't think Luganos are especially puncture proof. I would have just pushed the bike, as I've done on occasion to no ill effect

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
You do need to add a spanner to the bag. And money for a taxi. And better tyres, I don't think Luganos are especially puncture proof. I would have just pushed the bike, as I've done on occasion to no ill effect
Yeah, I grabbed then for buttons to make up an order, and the bike was the cheapest on Gumtree when I wanted to try out fixed gear - but you could see the tyre weft between the threads. I hadn't intended on using it as much.

I will keep an eye out for something a bit more robust...
You don’t even need a spanner. If you can find the hole in the tyre/tube, just pop that part of the tyre off the rim and patch it up.

Providing you have levers and patches....

You can mend a puncture without removing the wheel.
Oh... Yeah... That's probably the way to play it.

Let's imagine that I had no kit, is it unlikely I would have damaged wheels or tyres?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

I would have slowly ridden the two miles.

Top Bottom