Carried my bike 2 miles: was it unnecessary?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
I've done it two or three times over the years I've been riding and I've yet to knacker a tyre or damage a rim.

That's up to you. Not something I would do when tyres are the best part of £50 each.

D

Deleted member 1258

That's up to you. Not something I would do when tyres are the best part of £50 each.

The last tyre I brought cost me 21 quid including post and packing., I wouldn't pay 50 quid for a cycle tyre.

https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-durano-race-guard-rigid-road-tyre-700c-51557.html

D

Deleted member 26715

A Lugano tyre doesnt cost £50.00, I think they are about a tenner and they are not a decent tyre to start with.
That is the whole crux of the matter I think, you can't ask just an open question & expect sensible answers, I would ride it home if it had steel rims & cheap tyres, I wouldn't ride it if it had newish expensive tyres, but might if they were about to be replaced, on the other hand if if it had carbon rims I wouldn't no matter how cheap the tyres were, but I would never buy carbon rims in the first place.

Jody

Stubborn git
I've never ridden a mountain bike, and if I did ride one I wouldn't pay that much for a tyre.

Again, that's your choice and good for you. I prefer not slipping on wet rocks/roots and ending up injured or loosing my teeth. But this it taking away from the OP and will just keep going round in circles so I'll leave it there.

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
That is the whole crux of the matter I think, you can't ask just an open question & expect sensible answers, I would ride it home if it had steel rims & cheap tyres, I wouldn't ride it if it had newish expensive tyres, but might if they were about to be replaced, on the other hand if if it had carbon rims I wouldn't no matter how cheap the tyres were, but I would never buy carbon rims in the first place.
Just FYI, I'd begrudge having to replace a sub tenner tyre if it would otherwise have been serviceable. But I appreciate all the factors here.

D

Deleted member 26715

Just FYI, I'd begrudge having to replace a sub tenner tyre if it would otherwise have been serviceable. But I appreciate all the factors here.
Yep, you have to take all factors into account, were you late for work as you had to walk 2 miles, did it matter, would you have got there quicker if you had ridden, was it raining, was it up/down hills, what shoes did you have on, walking 2 miles in cleats in the wet yuk!

Put some air in the tyre and listen for where it is escaping. If you can't hear it then the puncture is slow enough for you to inflate and probably get home, or at least a considerable distance.

I said IF, because if you happen to have broken down at the side of a dual carriageway, there's very little chance you can hear the faint hiss of a puncture over the constant din of rolling tyres and roaring engines without fully extracting the tube and holding it up to the ear, or getting on your hands on knees to get your head near the tube. On quiet country roads, this is less problematic for obvious reasons.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You are missing a point here. We all do dumb things and learn a lesson. I have no doubt that the op now has a spanner in his tool kit. Great way to learn a lesson and lucky it was only a 2 mile push.

jahlive905

Don't sweat it.

When I first started cycling, I got into a mini-accident but thought my bike was OK to still ride home on. Well, about 3 miles later, the derailleur hanger snapped off as I tried to move into a lower gear. At this point, I had no option but to carry the bike and let it ride me, because my back wheel wouldn't turn without getting caught on the frazzled derailleur.

It was only a six mile walk home. My dad came and picked me up after he'd stopped laughing. And lots of cyclists did ask what was wrong and whether they could help but promptly realised they couldn't.

Anyway, must have given my upper body a workout for a change.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
When I first started cycling, . . . I had no option but to carry the bike and let it ride me, because my back wheel wouldn't turn without getting caught on the frazzled derailleur
Yeah, but.
With the multi-tool you now carry, though, you could remove the RD (opening the cage to let the chain out and undoing the cable clamp), pop it in your pocket, loop the chain over a largish sprocket and large chainring and very slowly pedal home (with the chain return looping directly back to the sprocket). With a chain tool you could even shorten the chain to make this steadily effective - just to get back home/ to the workplace/ to the car.

presta

Guru
There's no way I would carry the bike just because of a puncture, I just wheel it. There are only two occasions when I've been stuck with an unrideable bike, both after crashes. The first was when a crank broke and I had to call for someone to fetch me in a car, the second time I wheeled the bike a mile home holding a pringled front wheel in the air.

Top Bottom