Carried my bike 2 miles: was it unnecessary?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jahlive905

Yeah, but.
With the multi-tool you now carry, though, you could remove the RD (opening the cage to let the chain out and undoing the cable clamp), pop it in your pocket, loop the chain over a largish sprocket and large chainring and very slowly pedal home (with the chain return looping directly back to the sprocket). With a chain tool you could even shorten the chain to make this steadily effective - just to get back home/ to the workplace/ to the car.

Today, I learned.

I got some of these

https://www.tannus.co.uk/ctg_1393786330.html

It solved the problem nicely.

A complementary review of Tannus tyres

That's very much what my experience of them is as well. I had to chuckle at the comments from the Schwalbe representative though.
"Oh bugger, the Koreans have a viable solid tyre, who's patents result in making it practically impossible for ourselves to develop and manufacture a commercially viable rival product, I'll just say they're crap":laugh:

IMG_5274.JPG

autolycus

Über Member
I once rode from findon to petworth with a flat back tyre, after several abortive attempts to fix the puncture by the roadside.

16-odd miles including Duncton Hill!

Bought a new tube in Petworth and rode another 18 miles home with no apparent ill effects - to the bike that is.

Mind you, that was 51 years ago so i guess i was lucky to have pneumatic tyres in the first place :-)

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I carried my bike once after a puncture for fear of damaging the tyre, a police van stopped me and had a good look over the bike to check that there was no lock stopping the wheel turning.

davidphilips

Veteran
I carried my bike once after a puncture for fear of damaging the tyre, a police van stopped me and had a good look over the bike to check that there was no lock stopping the wheel turning.

LOL You should have told them you broke the lock then you would have been given a lift, Then when interviewed just told the sergeant things happen in threes first your lock broke second a flat tyre and last some muppet arrested you because you where walking home?

D

Deleted member 1258

LOL You should have told them you broke the lock then you would have been given a lift, Then when interviewed just told the sergeant things happen in threes first your lock broke second a flat tyre and last some muppet arrested you because you where walking home?

^_^^_^^_^

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I had something important to get to once, rear tyre disintegrated. I took the tyre off and rode on the rims which was noisy but worked. When I got home spun up the wheel and had it good as new with a file in about 10 minutes. Probably wouldn't have worked as well with the front mind.

OP
OP
gaijintendo

gaijintendo

Veteran
I cycled in yesterday on this threads bike, and noticed the tyre was low, but not critically so, and I have a pump at work... was running late etc. I went for it, and was ultra careful with potholes etc.

I noticed the sidewall is cracked. I fired the tyre initially, no issues. Skilled lbs replaced the tube on the day of this thread, and he would have mentioned if anything was untoward...
IMG_20171108_080300.jpg

I noticed this after inflating it... And another turn thread on the other side.

I am not impressed with the luganos... but I don't think I have done anything that should result in that kind of damage. I've had tubes pop and emerge and so on in my career as a pedal pusher. Have I just been lucky?

Top Bottom