Carrying a bike on a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
For reasons too tedious to explain, it would be a great help if I could get my kids bike to my work on Friday- ideally without using the car.

Have any of you managed to carry a bike (safely) on another bike? I have no trailer, but I do have a rear rack, a tool kit and about a dozen ratchet straps. Her bike is 24" wheel to give you a rough idea of size.

Photos appreciated :smile:

Thanks.

Use a rack extender, a plywood plank fixed across your racktop to provide a more stable base. I drilled some holes and use wire to fix it in place so it is easy to remove.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have 'shouldered' a small one before, but for one that size I would just ride one handed and wheel her bike in parallel to mine. However, my commute is short and almost entirely traffic free.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I have 'shouldered' a small one before, but for one that size I would just ride one handed and wheel her bike in parallel to mine. However, my commute is short and almost entirely traffic free.
I've shouldered a full size bike. I managed the journey (Through east London traffic) but I wouldn't say it was safe.

Luckily I didn't know that back then.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
I'm not sure my shoulder would fit through the frame to be honest - it has a sloping top tube. My commute is short, but it's quite busy - there are often gaps I can only just get through with panniers on so I don't fancy wheeling it - plus you guys must have better balance (and backs) than me! I'm sure I'd be all over the place and in agony :smile:

I like the rack extender idea - I think I have a plank that might do it, and then I can mount the whole bike on top so it's like a car transporter, and so it does a wheelie when I get off :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
Hand carrying the bike resting on the shoulder, means the weight is on the shoulder more.

Carried a few full size bikes that way.

The other suggestion, use her bike to get to work.

OneArmedBandit

I've had good results towing a bike on it's rear wheel as long as you can secure the front wheel off the ground. Obviously make sure your rear pannier pack is up to the task first.

It's one of those things that looks like it will be a pain, but actually is fine even when I've done it on bumpy tracks. Personally I would put a strap around seatpost to frame or similar holding the actual weight of the bike so the pannier only has to hold it in position and upright.

Reactions: mjr

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I once pushed one bike alongside whilst riding my own. Only for 2 or 3 miles. Never again if I can help it.
Hills are tricky.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
upload_2018-7-11_13-24-23.png

Top Bottom