Carrying Additional Clothing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VeganWheels

Just wondering what the practical options.
I've not have the need or desire to purchase a rain jacket yet,but looking at the forecast local to me tomorrow,it's going to be warm but i'll be unlikely to avoid a few downpours.
Are there any simple carry options or any brand of wet weather gear that is a bit like the old packamack things?

vickster

Legendary Member
Just wondering what the practical options.
I've not have the need or desire to purchase a rain jacket yet,but looking at the forecast local to me tomorrow,it's going to be warm but i'll be unlikely to avoid a few downpours.
Are there any simple carry options or any brand of wet weather gear that is a bit like the old packamack things?
There are lots of foldable cycling jackets, some are better than others (cheap ones tend to be a bit boil in the bag). I got one for £25/30 from Decathlon, but Endura do them - the pakajak (as do Gore, Castelli, Sportful etc but some probably closer to £100)

Here's Wiggle's selection https://www.wiggle.co.uk/packable-cycling-jackets/

Halfords do for £15 https://www.halfords.com/cycling/cy...ssentials-unisex-pac-a-mac---teal-153014.html (i'll be Bitb tho if no vents)

In warm wet weather, if a sweaty type., it may just be best to stick with lycra shorts and jersey and then dry off naturally (winter is a different matter of course)

Last edited:
OP
OP
VeganWheels

VeganWheels

Thanks for that vickster.
I've bought my all my kit so far from Fat Lads at The Back ,couple of short sleeve tops & long sleeve thermal top.
Drying naturally sounds like it may be way to go this time of year & i don't have room in my under saddle bag to carry anything else.
Only considered myself a fair weather cyclist until now,but just starting to realise how important cycling is becoming to me & where as rain before stopped me,I now find that I that taking a day off work,specifically to go for a ride,knowing I am almost certainly going to get wet.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'll generally only go out on the road bike if the weather is set fair, if we're in for showers then I'll take my tourer out and I stow my waterproof in the bar bag up front. It's quite a comprehensive goretex jacket though with zipped pockets and other features so it does need a bit of space.
You could always get a more minimalist rain cape and that will even roll up into a jersey pocket. Altura and Nalini are two that spring to mind.
As Vickster says, the cheaper you go, the less breathable the jacket, generally speaking.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for that vickster.
I've bought my all my kit so far from Fat Lads at The Back ,couple of short sleeve tops & long sleeve thermal top.
Drying naturally sounds like it may be way to go this time of year & i don't have room in my under saddle bag to carry anything else.
Only considered myself a fair weather cyclist until now,but just starting to realise how important cycling is becoming to me & where as rain before stopped me,I now find that I that taking a day off work,specifically to go for a ride,knowing I am almost certainly going to get wet.
Fat lad do rain jackets too
https://fatladattheback.com/collections/mens-cycling-jackets-gilets

lots of the others are very race cut!

personally I get cold quickly when wet so a bit boil in bag is tolerable. I can’t bear anything bulky in jersey pockets so stash in rack bag

Last edited:
This is where a bar bag or rack bag is really useful, as you can stash extra gubbins in them. Rain jacket included. I'm not a big fan of stashing things in pockets as they (invariably) end up getting lost. :blush:

I have a showerproof cycling jacket from Aldi, but it's a bit boil-in-the-bag. It does fold down really small, but it's useless in a deluge. If I'm out for the whole day or am commuting, then I'll take a proper waterproof - in my case a football training waterproof, which has vents across the shoulder blades. It's also a bit on the baggy side, which is good, as it keeps my bottom dry as well.

Top Bottom