Carrying bikes on roof....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A high level rear mount rack was not an option for new car, and I didn't really like the restriction of not being able to access the boot anyway. New tow bar was expensive etc. I bought a single Thule 598 roof mount a few weeks back, but not tried it yet; will probably aim to get two. Apparently the 598 cannot be easily twisted off by thieves. Re. height restrictions, some people are in the habit of dangling an 'object' from the rear view mirror, to be a constant reminder of the bike on the roof. We can get 59-61mpg on a long motorway run (with just roof bars on), so will be interesting to see what effect the bikes on roof have.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If I get some roof bars.... I will measure the total height with bikes on and put a big sticker on the dashboard......

Was thinking of damage to bikes.... Anyone had any problems

I have a damage report. Terrible it was. After driving to France I found that the bridge bracket of my rear mudguard had broken. I think that at speed the mudguard must have fluttered for long enough to fatigue and break the bracket. It took me all of a minute or two to fix the damage with a cable tie (which is still there).

Make sure that your passenger is also briefed with reminding you about low entrances. Two sets of eyes are better than one. My wife saved me from going through toll booth with a height restrictor at a péage on the motorway in France.

One thing that's not been mentioned, with regard to roof-mounted racks, is paint damage
Some soils pH may be enough to cause issues, like bird-droppings

I've seen it on a couple of friends cars. in years past, particularly around the tailgate, where the soil has been washed into there, by virtue of weather, or travel speed
Also, the possibility of small pebbles doing the same, & damaging weather-seals. or rear-wiper blades, when washer activated

e-rider

crappy member
I'm looking to carry 2 bikes on my Citroen roof bars - it sounds more complicated than it should be. The cheaper fittingS get terrible reviews. Thule seem better but they still get a fair amount of bad reviews. I've looked at the Thule 532 (£50 each) aND THE Thule 598 (£85 each). Will they both easily fit my roof bars? Some reviews claim they no longer come with mounting brackets for normal roof bars and these have to be purchased extra!?

iandg

Legendary Member
I drive from Ullapool over to Inverness and up and down the A9 regularly with bikes on roof racks. Volvo with Volvo supplied racks. Leaving the car in Ullapool (big car park by Tescos), saves a lot of money if you don't need the car - there's a lot that do that when they come to my Audax events (and they probably use roof racks).

Say hello if you see me :smile:

Last edited:

KneesUp

Guru
I drive from Ullapool over to Inverness and up and down the A9 regularly with bikes on roof racks. Volvo with Volvo supplied racks. You can leave a car in Ullapool (big car park by Tescos) - say hello if you see me :smile:
I overheard half a conversation once in Ullapool. I can now never hear the name Ullapool without hearing - in a very broad Australian accent.

"Nah mate, I'm in Ullapool. Unapool is a different place, mate"

As you were.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'm looking to carry 2 bikes on my Citroen roof bars - it sounds more complicated than it should be. The cheaper fittingS get terrible reviews. Thule seem better but they still get a fair amount of bad reviews. I've looked at the Thule 532 (£50 each) aND THE Thule 598 (£85 each). Will they both easily fit my roof bars? Some reviews claim they no longer come with mounting brackets for normal roof bars and these have to be purchased extra!?

Which Citroen have you got? I've got a C3, with "Citroen" roof bars (appear to be made by Thule) and both a 532 and a 598 (for the carbon bike;)) carrier. No problem with either, although due to the panoramic screen the roof bars are a bit further back so I put the carriers on the 'wrong' way round so I can still open the tailgate properly...

The bike sits there quite happily at motorway speeds.

IMG_20160820_071351762_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160820_071405837_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I bought my Thule carrier from www.roofbox.co.uk and they answered a few questions I had. You could try asking them.

e-rider

crappy member
Which Citroen have you got? I've got a C3, with "Citroen" roof bars (appear to be made by Thule) and both a 532 and a 598 (for the carbon bike;)) carrier. No problem with either, although due to the panoramic screen the roof bars are a bit further back so I put the carriers on the 'wrong' way round so I can still open the tailgate properly...

The bike sits there quite happily at motorway speeds.

View attachment 334604
View attachment 334606
I have an old Xsara Picasso that rarely goes above 65mph - the bars are just standard square ones from Citroen. Which Thule bars do you prefer? Is it worth spending the extra for the 598 over the 532?

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4650869, member: 9609"]10 to 15% onto the fuel, and if it is raining your bike will be getting power washed at 90 on the motorway, that water will get into places you don't want it to, bikes aren't designed for that speed in the rain. If rain is forecast I would smear some grease on the outside of all the bearings to try and stop water getting in.

In a belt & braces mindset I used to rope it down for longer faster journeys.[/QUOTE]

90 on the motorway :stop:

^_^

Most of the A9 is 60mph with 'average' speed cameras

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The 532 is a perfectly adequate carrier, no question - it's just that the jaws snap closed with quite a "thunk" and I didn't fancy that clamping down on my new carbon bike. That said, there have been posts further up the thread from people who've adjusted their 532 and use it quite happily with a carbon bike, so it's clearly working OK for them.
The 598 is the new model and is just "nicer" - it looks better and has a much better action, plus reviewers have commented it's a bit more difficult for a thief to try get off. If that translates into being worth spending the extra money is a question that only you can answer.

iandg

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4650888, member: 9609"]kmh - obviously - 56 keeps you safe for the average cams[/QUOTE]

Over 20 years we've been caught twice (before the average speed cameras were introduced) :blush:

I got caught by a mobile unit coming out of dual into single carriage way and wickerwoman got caught when we were passing Pitlochry at 4 in the morning :sad:

Only a few mph over the limit - but enough :sad:

Top Bottom