Cassette Decks, anyone still use them

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salar

A fish out of water
I still sometimes play cassettes on a Technics dbx deck .:rolleyes:

The quality can vary a lot, but sometimes you can find a good one, like some of the old Springsteen stuff.

Anyone else still play cassettes in this digital download world.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've got a radio cassette in the car and a cassette deck up in the loft. TBH the sound quality is awful compared to modern digital stuff.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yep, still using one here. One of the last ones made, a Yamaha.

Useful feature is the 'Playback Trim' rotary knob which alters the tape 'Bias' so increases/decreases the 'top end' so I can still listen to tapes recorded nigh on 40yrs ago, still sounds good especially those old Maxell UD XL11 tapes that I was paying nearly £3 each for in the mid 80s.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Yup. A Nad. Still occasionally put on an old compilation, just for the nostalgia. Some of the better tapes (TDK SA, eg) sound ok, tho' nothing like as good as vinyl or CD.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
If you're using cassettes don't forget this...

Pencil.jpg

midlife

Guru
Very occasionally use an old Sony that I've had since the early 90's.

I've still got a load of cassette in an attaché case too.

View attachment 378228

That looks just like mine !

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4994388, member: 259"]We

We still have a working decent NAD deck and some SA tapes of concerts and stuff that you'd never find anywhere else. I keep meaning to digitise them but never get round to it. I checked eBay and gwo ones sometimes make surprising money. I've no idea who's buying them though![/QUOTE]
Big market for 'Retro HiFi' these days,

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...ohifi.co.uk/&usg=AOvVaw1Ou3HAJMWSn5D4UQuzFSVD

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
[QUOTE 4994388, member: 259"]We still have a working decent NAD deck and some SA tapes of concerts and stuff that you'd never find anywhere else. I keep meaning to digitise them but never get round to it. I checked eBay and gwo ones sometimes make surprising money. I've no idea who's buying them though![/QUOTE]

I've just remembered from the depths that stall in the Kensington Market, that guy who used to sell bootleg tapes of gigs, bought a few off him. Long time ago though, time and jazz cigarettes have probably caught up with him by now. God they were shite but then it was tapes.

Top Bottom