Cassette Decks, anyone still use them

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Anybody got a reel-to-reel? I would have killed for a Revox forty five years ago. The knobs....the switches......
Revox PR99.jpg

MarkF

Guru
I have a cassette deck but very rarely use it.

But, clearing out the cellar the other week, I found a Walkman, a Sharp version, I remember buying it for a holiday in 1989. I put 2 x AA batteries in it, expecting it not to work, or work sluggishly, but it was perfect! My 16 year old daughter saw it later that day and squealed with delight, they are the coolest things for kids today, now you know.^_^ She shot off to her bedroom with Barry Whites greatest hits to show off to her friends (via her phone).......

KneesUp

Guru
Anybody got a reel-to-reel? I would have killed for a Revox forty five years ago. The knobs....the switches...... View attachment 378262
I thought I'd arranged to buy one that looked a bit like that off my mates landlord just before I left for university but I went away before we sorted it out and he sold it to someome else. As I recall he only wanted £20 or something daft. I know nothing about them mind you. This was pre eBay obviously.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I thought I'd arranged to buy one that looked a bit like that off my mates landlord just before I left for university but I went away before we sorted it out and he sold it to someome else. As I recall he only wanted £20 or something daft. I know nothing about them mind you. This was pre eBay obviously.
There were some much cheaper Akai tape decks about but Revox were top dollar. Drool.

OP
OP
Salar

Salar

A fish out of water
Must have been 1972 I bought a stereo system, Garrard SP25 turntable, pseudo Wharfedales and an Amstrad Integra 4000 amp.

The amp,featuring quadrophonic sound (it had 4 speaker outlets) made by Mr Sugars company, was let's say, not good. Most of the controls were sliders with vinyl decals, these quickly wore off the brushed aluminium.

Anyway I wasn't having this, so wrote a letter to Amstrad, addressed to the man himself.
I actually got a personal signed letter from him a few days later accepting no responsibility and it was my fault for using it too much!,he wouldn't even send me some replacement decals.
Every time I see him it reminds me of that amp.

Here's an interesting ad from the times, showing the amp being used as an ashtray table.

amstrad.jpg

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Must have been 1972 I bought a stereo system, Garrard SP25 turntable, pseudo Wharfedales and an Amstrad Integra 4000 amp.

The amp,featuring quadrophonic sound (it had 4 speaker outlets) made by Mr Sugars company, was let's say, not good. Most of the controls were sliders with vinyl decals, these quickly wore off the brushed aluminium.

Anyway I wasn't having this, so wrote a letter to Amstrad, addressed to the man himself.
I actually got a personal signed letter from him a few days later accepting no responsibility and it was my fault for using it too much!,he wouldn't even send me some replacement decals.
Every time I see him it reminds me of that amp.

Here's an interesting ad from the times, showing the amp being used as an ashtray table.

View attachment 378282

That's the kind customer service we've come to expect. Marvelous!

Did you write back and tell him 'you're fired'?

Last edited:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
No, I used to keep a Walkman handy for plugging in to speakers, but my friend had digital copies of most of my cassettes so I copied them from him. I hope I didn't throw away my old collection though, it would be nice to keep them.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
still got the deck and occasionally play a cassette (of which i have hundreds)... but i really really really wish I'd only used metal tapes back in the day... since the handful that i have sound fine after all these years whilst the standard TDK D90s (or similar) haven't aged so well.

I've got a load of old compilations and mixes on cassette... not worth digitising them but nice to listen to on occasion. Memories innit.

Still got a mini-disk deck too, and it still gets used.

Top Bottom