Cassette on new bikes.

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by gavroche, 6 Feb 2019.

Tags:
  1. gavroche

gavroche Getting old but not past it

Why do they all come with 11x28 cassette? It is ok if you are a good climber or young or very fit or live in a flat area. In my case, 12x32 is a minimum as Wales is not flat, I am not young, a bad climber and not as fit as I would like to be. All my present bikes are 32 and one even 34 cassettes.

2. I've never had a bike come with a 11-28 although its my preferred gearing so I usually change for that. The road bikes Ive had have come with an 10 or 11 - 23 or 25 and the mtb oriented hybrid I had came with an 11 - 34. I guess 11-28 is the middle ground and most sellable/popular.

raleighnut and Racing roadkill like this.
  3. nickyboy

nickyboy Norven Mankey

It gets worse...I bought a bike from Decathlon. Decent road bike. Presumably standard specced for UK.

Lowest gear was 34-25. I live in the Peak District. It was tough going. I did make it up Winnats pass with that gearing for a bet but it wasn't pretty

4. All of my road bikes came with 11-28 cassettes, except for a Boardman Pro Carbon I bought in 2014, which came with an 11-25. The chainsets are all semi compact as well, except the Boardman, which has a Compact. I think the bike manufacturers have a certain idea of the types of riders they are expecting to be parting with their hard earned, for particular bikes, and spec them accordingly. It’s no massive problem to swap a cassette for one with a bigger largest sprocket, and the manufacturers know this, so they give the people the majority of whom are spending on the bikes, what they want by speccing them with something like an 11-28 cassette.

5. lazyfatgit

lazyfatgit Veteran

11-28 is probably a fair compromise for an average rider. I've been able to negotiate a swap with bike shop on my last 3 bikes. Either cassette, stem or seatpost for no or little cost.

SpokeyDokey and raleighnut like this.
  6. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this....

You are looking at this the wrong way!

11-28 is a good cassette with a decent range for most riding. Where people and manufacturers get it wrong is pairing it with an unsuitable chainset.

7. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

I had the same but in reverse....bikes with compact chainsets...on the edge of the Fens :laugh:

Manufacturers can't cover every terrain option, you buy what's there / available and then change what's necessary.

8. Moodyman

Moodyman Guru

Or unsuitable rider.

Gixxerman, NorthernDave and screenman like this.
  9. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

They don’t if you spec your own new bike from scratch ;)

10. Slow But Determined

Slow But Determined Nid Yw Cymru Ar Werth!

Cos it looks nicer with a short cage, if you go up to a 32 you invariably have to swop out to a long cage.

raleighnut likes this.
  11. Shortandcrisp

Shortandcrisp Senior Member

Went to the Peak District for The Tour de France with a few other people from a local cycling club.
    The plan was to ride some of the tour routes with a few additional hills!
    Living in Norfolk I turned up on a bike with a compact chain set and an 11 or 12-25 cassette. What a horror show that turned out to be!

12. dave r

dave r Dunking Diddy Dave Pedalling Pensioner

I'm old enough to remember when most bikes came with 14-24 five speeds block, usually paired with a 52-42 up front.

Last edited: 7 Feb 2019
  13. Poacher

Poacher Gravitationally challenged member

You had a front clanger? You must have been well off! I dreamt of having 10 gears instead of 5.

Cue "You were lucky, we had to eat COLD gravel" response.

Last edited: 7 Feb 2019
  14. dave r

dave r Dunking Diddy Dave Pedalling Pensioner

:laugh:

15. Sharky

Sharky Veteran

…. and I managed with a 14-18 with a 52/42! One winter I had an 18-20 block made up and thought it was "cheating" as I dropped my club mates on the hills.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice