Cassette on new bikes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Why do they all come with 11x28 cassette? It is ok if you are a good climber or young or very fit or live in a flat area. In my case, 12x32 is a minimum as Wales is not flat, I am not young, a bad climber and not as fit as I would like to be. All my present bikes are 32 and one even 34 cassettes.

I've never had a bike come with a 11-28 although its my preferred gearing so I usually change for that. The road bikes Ive had have come with an 10 or 11 - 23 or 25 and the mtb oriented hybrid I had came with an 11 - 34. I guess 11-28 is the middle ground and most sellable/popular.

All of my road bikes came with 11-28 cassettes, except for a Boardman Pro Carbon I bought in 2014, which came with an 11-25. The chainsets are all semi compact as well, except the Boardman, which has a Compact. I think the bike manufacturers have a certain idea of the types of riders they are expecting to be parting with their hard earned, for particular bikes, and spec them accordingly. It’s no massive problem to swap a cassette for one with a bigger largest sprocket, and the manufacturers know this, so they give the people the majority of whom are spending on the bikes, what they want by speccing them with something like an 11-28 cassette.

gbb

Legendary Member
I had the same but in reverse....bikes with compact chainsets...on the edge of the Fens :laugh:

Manufacturers can't cover every terrain option, you buy what's there / available and then change what's necessary.

vickster

Legendary Member
They don’t if you spec your own new bike from scratch ;)

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
Went to the Peak District for The Tour de France with a few other people from a local cycling club.
The plan was to ride some of the tour routes with a few additional hills!
Living in Norfolk I turned up on a bike with a compact chain set and an 11 or 12-25 cassette. What a horror show that turned out to be!

Top Bottom