Cassette on new bikes.

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by gavroche, 6 Feb 2019.

Tags:
  1. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this....

For anyone that struggles or doesn't enjoy a hard climb I would always suggest something like 28/38/48 as the perfect chainset. Certainly worked well on my hybrid coupled to an 11-26 cassette, and I even enjoy hill climbing (probably because I try to choose gearing suitable for the Pennine hills?).

dave r likes this.
  2. derrick

derrick The Glue that binds us together.

I would imagine you would have to have a really high cadence to get a good top end with that setup.

3. Oldfentiger

Oldfentiger Über Member

Around here, I’m more likely to be feathering the brakes on descents rather than pedalling. It’s either up or down with no flat between. For this reason I’m not bothered about having particularly high gears.

SpokeyDokey likes this.
  4. rogerzilla

rogerzilla Veteran

Go and ride fixed for a year, then you'll be glad of 42 x 21!

I once hauled myself up to Princetown on 42 x 21 just to let rip down the Tavistock road. Got up to 56mph and caught a Land Rover so had to brake :sad:. I'd hoped for 72mph, which allegedly was the St Budeaux CC record.

JhnBssll and DCBassman like this.
  5. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this....

Could hit 50mph quite regularly without trying too hard. I hit the real high speeds on my 50 or 52 chainring bikes, but maybe that's because they have drop handlebars and are more aero?

6. Bazzer

Bazzer Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

That second picture looks similar to the bottom of Shaw Wood Road. IIRC another lung burner :laugh:

7. ColinJ

ColinJ It's a puzzle ...

Oh, it's about 50% worse than that! :okay:

In fact, it would be interesting to compare them. I'll get into action with my mapping and graphics software ...

Hmm - there is something interesting going on which I hadn't noticed before... The elevation data on my OS maps seems to be offset laterally by a significant distance! The profiles are showing the steepest bits to be just before the ACTUAL steepest bits. I'll investigate that later, but this is roughly a comparison between Shaw Rd and Church Lane/Mytholm Steeps ...

Maps.png

Anyway ... neither would be fun on 42/21!

Last edited: 7 Feb 2019
  8. Reynard

Reynard Veteran

11-30 with a 46 / 34 on mine. Fine for fen roads, but show me a hill and I'm ready to throw my bike into the hedge. :blush:

Impending new arrival has 11-34 with a 44 / 32 / 22 - far better for when I get madcap ideas involving bits of road that go up.

SpokeyDokey, DCBassman and Pat "5mph" like this.
  9. derrick

derrick The Glue that binds us together.

Have i got this right?
    cadence.JPG

10. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Extra solar

Ask for it to be fitted with a 12-32 cassette when you buy it. No extra cost usually.

SpokeyDokey likes this.
  11. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

The Giant came with a slightly more hill friendly 11-32 and a 50/34 up front.

The Boardman Pro Carbon is a sportier set up with 11-28 and 52/36.
    I've had that within a hairs breadth of 50mph on a couple of occasions. I'll get there one day...^_^

12. ColinJ

ColinJ It's a puzzle ...

I changed my CAAD 5 from a 53/39, 13-29 to a 48/36/28, 12-30 which is a LOT nicer on the kind of vicious hills I mentioned earlier.

SpokeyDokey and dave r like this.
  13. tyred

tyred Legendary Member

I have one such steed sitting in my hallway. I intend to ride it this summer once I've given it some TLC.

14. SkipdiverJohn

SkipdiverJohn Über Member

My drop-bar Dawes has 52/42 and a 14-24 freewheel, although it has the luxury of six speeds on the back not five. It's not even that ancient either, only mid-late 1980's! The gearing is a bit too "manly" though, I'm going to be a wimp and fit a 14-28 one.

15. I remember a time no so long ago when 11-25 was the default...

Last edited: 7 Feb 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice