Cassette on new bikes.

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by gavroche, 6 Feb 2019.

Tags:
  1. ColinJ

ColinJ It's a puzzle ...

Pat "5mph" and Reynard like this.
  2. No choice yesterday, hills I usually free wheel down close to 30 mph I was having to pedal down hard at 18mph :ohmy:

DCBassman likes this.
  3. DCBassman

DCBassman Basses or Bikes? Hmmm...

Yup, been a tad breezy...
    :smile:

HLaB likes this.
  4. Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee Veteran

As an elderly fat man, 12-23 is what I use around here:

image.jpeg

It isn't that clean now!

cheys03 likes this.
  5. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this....

I guess the people that don't like an 11T small sprocket don't live somewhere particularly hilly?

6. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

I don't like an 11t because I do live somewhere hilly. I'd prefer a 12 or even a 13 to either close up the ratios or give an extra large cog on the cassette.

48x12 is easily enough if you are not racing, descents are there to rest your legs and recover energy.

freiston, Ajax Bay and SpokeyDokey like this.
  7. nickyboy

nickyboy Norven Mankey

To be fair, on reasonably steep descents I don't pedal.

But it's those annoying 3-4% ones where you need the 11 tooth. Freewheeling gets you 30mph but if you want to go faster you have to pedal

Long Hill from Buxton to Whaley Bridge is a good example. It's about 5 miles down at about 3% so it's a boring descent without pedalling

I like Skol likes this.
  8. Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers Kilometre nibbler

I'm a bit late to the thread, but I like my 11T sprocket too. Some people take the view that unless you are "spinning out" on the next biggest sprocket, there's no use for a smaller sprocket. That's one way of looking at it, but it's not how I approach things.

I use a pretty low cadence anyway, so I use my 11T on the flat even though I don't go particularly quickly. I just churn the pedals relatively slowly. And on a long stretch of primarily gentle downhill (eg coming down the dip slope of the North Downs escarpment) I'm mainly freewheeling, probs no faster than about 30-35km/h, but I like to top-up the speed with a few pedal revs in a high gear.

Now this has the potential to ignite a debate about what is the "best" cadence, and why I "should" be pedalling faster and gearing lower. If that happens I will just put my fingers in my ears and shut my eyes. I've seen that debate before and it holds no interest for me.

I also love my 34T big sprocket. As far as I'm concerned you can't have too wide a range of gears, and I don't particularly give a stuff about the spacing. Others differ.

Last edited: 13 Feb 2019 at 09:50
    DCBassman and I like Skol like this.
  9. KneesUp

KneesUp Veteran

I remember cycling out of Borth y Gest to Porthmadoc and then on to Harlech castle on my 1980s Peugeot with 52/42 and 14-25, when all the cycling I'd done until then had been in lovely flat south Manchester. I would not be at all surprised if the knee pain I get now, nearly 30 years later, is as a direct result of that day.

nickyboy and SpokeyDokey like this.
  10. ColinJ

ColinJ It's a puzzle ...

Especially if you went by the scenic route! :okay:

11. Jody

Jody Gold member

Nah. Descents are for adrenaline not rest.

nickyboy likes this.
  12. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Veteran

There's the crux. If a rider doesn't care (or realise that closer spacing might be beneficial) then why not have an 11t or indeed a 34t (if the RD can cope).

13. Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers Kilometre nibbler

Are you suggesting that if only I were to use close spacing the scales would fall from my eyes and I would realise what I've been missing all along? :smile:

Well, maybe, but I like my 11-34 cassette too much to risk it. The alternative is going for a triple to get the desired range, which would mean completely re-engineering my bike, something I don't have the time or inclination to do.

I can honestly say that I've never, ever thought "this gear in the middle of the range is OK, but really, it's not quite right. I wish it were just a smidge higher (or lower) but not a whole gear change". I'm sure that there are plenty of other people who do think this. Probably people who are fitter than me, who ride faster and do bigger distances.

Smokin Joe likes this.
  14. DCBassman

DCBassman Basses or Bikes? Hmmm...

No, have the 11-34 AND the triple! It's great!.
    :biggrin:

Dogtrousers likes this.
  15. Hugh Manatee

Hugh Manatee Veteran

Or have a 53 big ring. Stupid autocorrect wanted to change that to a Bing ring. I'm not sure if I want to know what one of those is!

DCBassman likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice