cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
shimano of campag?

have you undone it?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Give it half hour, spray in some more, another half hour then try.. but if the lockring is really stuck then leave for a good few hours.

OP
OP
MadoneRider1991

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
ianrauk said:
Give it half hour, spray in some more, another half hour then try.. but if the lockring is really stuck then leave for a good few hours.

ok thanks :sad:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Is your cassette a freewheel?

If you need a chain whip to hold the sprockets still when turning the remover in the undo direction, it's a cassette; if not it's a freewheel.

If it's a freewheel it will take a serious amount of grunt to get off, involving a big bench vice or a 2ft long spanner.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
..and don't forget to try tightening it a little, before undoing it. Sometimes this can help (if only to assure you that you're going the right way).

OP
OP
MadoneRider1991

MadoneRider1991

Über Member
andrew_s said:
Is your cassette a freewheel?

If you need a chain whip to hold the sprockets still when turning the remover in the undo direction, it's a cassette; if not it's a freewheel.

If it's a freewheel it will take a serious amount of grunt to get off, involving a big bench vice or a 2ft long spanner.

i have been a bike mechanic for the past 2 years, i know what to do the locking ring is stuck and i just wanted to know if anyone had and tips on how to loosen it ;)

PpPete

Legendary Member
I use a small child in situations like this.....

I hold the wheel (fitted with fully inflated tyre so as provide friction on ground), and the business end of the tool in the other hand to make nothing slips. I put a scaffold pole over the end of the wrench. Child on other end of scaffold pole.

Never fails - and gives child a real thrill that they can do something that Dad can't manage.

Works on freewheels, stuck pedals, BB shells, just about everything.

Top Bottom