Cat Deterrent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
hi
we have a cat ****ing in the garden. it's just a small piece of lawn at the front of the house its decided to make it's territory
have tried half filled water bottles and spreading chopped up citrus pieces with no joy

has anyone any effective solutions i could try
are the ultrasonic deterrents any good
https://www.conceptresearch.co.uk/products/catwatch

hmmm and i've just seen this while writing
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/363512584695?epid=6048607336&hash=item54a309d9f7:g:ohmy:ZkAAOSwqU1hH3sX&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoKXLnc/hzRNNspBYsV3K/3aI5c8uqx6e6K7Q1+C8lM8lIy0TmG451+5JG1XeLdDAZiM98gJp6e8OXHrM04DDxR8DwxNhiuIX5lHxsAAHoF9L3ciYhA+3oyT95jaNqOC6SQtyrSEsTdJfK5NwAFyuFBBFxSMDMEF+FD7EYnPS/jj8KX8lmljoZczxZPfh9dqVCJevHRyR5yZ4lPfrrTZwZas=|tkp:Bk9SR9T5uKbWYA

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Water pistol, put you need to catch it.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
The ultrasonic device didn't work for me.

Some people say they're frightened of snakes so an old length of hosepipe is supposed to scare them off.

I have one of the preferred toilet places criss-crossed with twigs to deter the digging. It doesn't stop the one that is too lazy to dig and just goes in the middle of the lawn :angry:

Gwylan

Veteran
Very cheap ground pepper spread everywhere.

I'm told, though I wouldn't do this that mixing pepper and honey together and leaving it in various spots favoured by the feline can work.
Go for a few pints and collect the by product. Disperse said product around the borders of your territory. Discretion might be needed for this. Not a tactic recommended for ladies. Their urine tends to kill the grass.

Then we go further off piste.
Empty washing up liquid bottle, fill with water, water that been used for washing up and is faintly fatty. Keep it handy, work out the rest for yourself.
Wear a loud jumper or hat. Hiss at the cat everytime you see it. If it runs away follow it, that really passes them off. Help them recognise your bike and you, follow it.

All this requires a dedication and commitment. But it is worth it to gain control over Tiddles who rules the roost elsewhere.
Plausible excuses are feigned care and concern that it might be lost, injured or something.

Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
If you have an outside tap you could try a Pestbye sprinkler cat deterrent. About £20 on Amazon. You connect it by hosepipe to your outside tap and place it somewhere strategic for your lawn. It has a motion detector which triggers the sprinkler for 30 seconds or so. Just turn the water on in the evening and off in the morning. You can set the sensitivity and the area that it covers from a narrow arc to 360 degrees. It runs on 4 AA batteries. One drawback is that it can't tell the difference between a cat and a forgetful homeowner, if you forget it's there. It will soon remind you! Batteries last 3-4 months.

Helps to move it about occasionally, as cats will suss out where they can sneak past it eventually. Nothing works 100% but it's the best thing we've found. It's quite gratifying to see a cat sauntering across the garden as if it owns the place then get sprayed before rapidly vanishing.
It might be more of a problem in a front garden as you don't want to be spraying passers by or people coming to your front door.
It works without harming the cats. There might even be a solar charged version available by now.

We tried an ultrasonic one and even at my age I can tell it's there. It's audible to children and young adults to an annoying degree, but doesn't seem to worry the cats. Our neighbour has a mega one on her front patch of grass and it's definitely audible but she still gets feline presents on her lawn. If you have freshly turned earth or a nice piece of grass no amount of deterrence seems to keep them away. We've tried all sorts of deterrents in the past, including curry powder and pellets though haven't resorted to lion poo yet. Even putting spiky strips on the fence tops hasn't stopped cats strolling nonchantly along them.

So there you are, it might not be the solution but you won't know until you try!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I reckon one of these would do the trick... :okay:

Bicycle anti-theft device.png

Make sure that is already trained not to crap on your grass - I wouldn't fancy trying to teach it the error of its ways! :laugh:

Joffey

Big Dosser
If you have an outside tap you could try a Pestbye sprinkler cat deterrent. About £20 on Amazon. You connect it by hosepipe to your outside tap and place it somewhere strategic for your lawn. It has a motion detector which triggers the sprinkler for 30 seconds or so. Just turn the water on in the evening and off in the morning. You can set the sensitivity and the area that it covers from a narrow arc to 360 degrees. It runs on 4 AA batteries. One drawback is that it can't tell the difference between a cat and a forgetful homeowner, if you forget it's there. It will soon remind you! Batteries last 3-4 months.

Helps to move it about occasionally, as cats will suss out where they can sneak past it eventually. Nothing works 100% but it's the best thing we've found. It's quite gratifying to see a cat sauntering across the garden as if it owns the place then get sprayed before rapidly vanishing.
It might be more of a problem in a front garden as you don't want to be spraying passers by or people coming to your front door.
It works without harming the cats. There might even be a solar charged version available by now.

We tried an ultrasonic one and even at my age I can tell it's there. It's audible to children and young adults to an annoying degree, but doesn't seem to worry the cats. Our neighbour has a mega one on her front patch of grass and it's definitely audible but she still gets feline presents on her lawn. If you have freshly turned earth or a nice piece of grass no amount of deterrence seems to keep them away. We've tried all sorts of deterrents in the past, including curry powder and pellets though haven't resorted to lion poo yet. Even putting spiky strips on the fence tops hasn't stopped cats strolling nonchantly along them.

So there you are, it might not be the solution but you won't know until you try!

Be careful of the hosepipe bans! ^_^

Top Bottom