Cat or a Dog person?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

alecstilleyedye said:
cat man through and through. anyone who says cats aren't affectionate are incorrect, it's just that you get back what you give. contrast that with dogs, that love you no matter how badly you treat them. mistreat a cat and it will bugger off. hardly a quality that deserves suspicion.

Yup, and a man who is open about being a cat man is a hugely attractive trait. :evil:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
peanut said:
sounds like my resume too :biggrin: Hope `Wee one ' is feeling more him/herself now on thyroxine ?

I have two so its me and the two cats all weekend . One sleeps all day the other sleeps all night so I usually have at least one to talk to :biggrin:

My ex was a vet nurse so if either of the cats get sick I go to pieces and am incapable of making any decisions. Poor Kathy has to be the one to stick needles and pills into them so they both hate her !...

Yes I'm another cat person :blush:

Thanks peanut - yes, wee one ('October', a neutered female) seems to be doing fine. She's got to go back in two weeks time (been on the pills a week now) to see the vet and get more blood taken to see if her levels are better. I tell you, she had a big enough appetite before but it seems to have increased in the last week - probably trying to get the weight back asap !

We had a moment tonight when she managed to get the pill off to the side of her tongue and spit it out, which led to an extended torture session for her as I tried to get it back in... repeatedly... and she got more and more annoyed. It's amazing just how much power something so small can put out when trying to escape !! She was snuggled up beside me 20 minutes later though when I sat down to have my dinner, so obviously she isn't holding any grudges :ohmy:

Wafflycat - thanks for the compliment :biggrin: Ladies who like cats are very attractive too... I tend to find the ones who hate cats to be rather spiteful and full of themselves. Since the ex and I went our separate ways, any girlfriends I've had have been cat-lovers funnily enough !

And I really don't know what I'll do when anything happens to October; at 17 she's outlived my 11 year marriage and been with me through the bad times and the good. She's been a real constant in my life since just after I left home and got married - I'll be devastated without her.

wafflycat

goo_mason said:
Wafflycat - thanks for the compliment :ohmy: Ladies who like cats are very attractive too... I tend to find the ones who hate cats to be rather spiteful and full of themselves. Since the ex and I went our separate ways, any girlfriends I've had have been cat-lovers funnily enough !

Most welcome. Cats *know* who the good sorts are! :blush:

wafflycat

goo_mason said:
And I really don't know what I'll do when anything happens to October; at 17 she's outlived my 11 year marriage and been with me through the bad times and the good. She's been a real constant in my life since just after I left home and got married - I'll be devastated without her.

As and when it's the time of any of my three to depart this mortal coil, I'll be devastated. Each is different and each is much loved, but I do have a *particular* bond with Waffles. The first time I saw her she was small enough to sit in the palm of my hand. She was a tiny ball of black fuzz with two tiny ears pricking up out of the fur and still had blue eyes. Her mum was jet black too. I told her mum that I'd look after her lovely baby for always. As and when Waffles goes... I'll be *distraught*.

I like all animals, have had a cat (went missing when we moved house :o) she was a lovely Burmese.

However, have always had dogs, presently a very laid back labrador and a very skittish collie. Would consider myself a dog person, but by no means do I, therefore, dislike cats.

I am amused however, by many peoples assumption that cats are "clever" and dogs "dumb", as reinforced by certain cartoon strips (Garfield etc.). - Read a very interesting book by a vet, where he contrasted dogs and cats, and basically he contended that cats "appear" clever, (or rather aloof would be a better term), whereas dogs, being relatively "more intelligent" - dangerous ground I know - are eager to please the pack leader (i.e. you if the dog is trained correctly) and can appear slavishly dumb.

As the author commented, how many cats do you see herding sheep, aiding rescue teams, guiding blind/deaf people, sniffing out drugs/explosives, etc.,...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
wafflycat said:
I'll have you know that two of my cats have hearded geese!

Well, I'm not surprised, Geese are loud :ohmy:

We have a dog (Jack Russell cross), but I've owned cats in the past. I think on balance, I slightly prefer the dog as a pet.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Ermmm, a bit late into this thread, but given that dogs, and cats, and all other animals have their own personalities, I don't see how one could be a 'cat' person, 'dog' person or whatever. I've had cats that I liked hugely, dogs that I was seriously upset to lose - am I just an 'animal' person? A few years ago I got quite attached to a squirrel that lived in the garden. She'd come and take nuts from my hand...

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
wafflycat said:
As and when it's the time of any of my three to depart this mortal coil, I'll be devastated. Each is different and each is much loved, but I do have a *particular* bond with Waffles. The first time I saw her she was small enough to sit in the palm of my hand. She was a tiny ball of black fuzz with two tiny ears pricking up out of the fur and still had blue eyes. Her mum was jet black too. I told her mum that I'd look after her lovely baby for always. As and when Waffles goes... I'll be *distraught*.

just for you waffly (and waffles)

Tattoo was the mother of Pinkle Purr,
A little black nothing of feet and fur;
And by and by, when his eyes came through,
He saw his mother, the big Tattoo.
And all that he learned he learned from her,
"I'll ask my mother," says Pinkle Purr.

A ridiculous kitten with silky fur.
And little black Pinkle grew and grew
Till he got as big as the big Tattoo.
And all he did he did with her.
"Two friends together," says Pinkle Purr.

An adventurous cat in a coat of fur.
And whenever he thought of a thing to do,
He didn't much bother about Tattoo.
For he knows it's nothing to do with her,
So "See you later," says Pinkle Purr.

An enormous leopard with coal-black fur.
A little brown kitten that's nearly new
Is now playing games with its big Tattoo...
And Pink looks lazily down at her:
"Dear little Tat," says Pinkle Purr.

A. A. Milne

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We've got 3 moggies.... two that are about 12 and a little terror that is 1....

The older two, Jazz and Belle were here before the kids...so you know their noses were put out. They have got on better with the kids, as the kids have 'understood' animals better, Belle hates being picked up anyway - runt of the litter that was picked up by a Rottie (yes dog - but a great dog) as a baby, before she came to us....as a 8 week old kitten - it's stuck since.

Had a bad 18 months with the cats, about 2 years ago - Belle developed Gingivitis (aged 10-11), but was a bit more than that, 18 months of treatment, new drugs...etc....and the old remove all the teeth in the end was the cure, but on the last op. a the young vet broke her jaw and left a canine tooth stuck out..(impossible to eat) hence the main Vet sorting that.... a few weeks later........

Jazz got shot or something in the middle of that..... hole in her back, sat licking a wound on our daughters bed, and a ligament (stringy bit) hanging out - mad dash to a 24h vet (more money) and she was eventually sorted- no sign of a pellet.

As Belle got better, mum and daughter saw friends kittens.. May 2007.... well a little Tiggy arrived.. fluffy Torti - Ginger, white and Black... very palcid with the kids, but just growls when she has had enough.... it's only me she fight's with.....but I goad her !!

All doing great now.... Tiggy is bigger than the older two cats, but they get on, have accepted a pain in the butt Tiggy cat...well as much as that goes......

Tiggy is great with the kids....big grumpy, but wouldn't scratch you if cuddled and strangled.........lets the older two get away with being mithered....

We are insured, as Belle cost probably nearly £2k in bills.... Jazz £300, but I do pay nearly £50 a month insuring the three now...the older two attract higher bills of course !

I love dogs(had dogs as a kid etc), but (at the time) we were both out all day (so cats) - not an issue now, but dog does need to be walked and stuff...., if you are all working all day, then that's not fair.....

Top Bottom