Catch a driver going through red on video?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It strikes me that Roadsafe must be pretty overwhelmed with reports (unsurprising, given the poor standard of driving in London). They have been narrowing the window of what they are prepared to deal with. Some are regarded as not worth writing to the offender, and others have been rejected because they are too serious!

On Friday, I received an email basically saying that, because of the number of denials they have received from offenders, they won't bother pursuing unless there is some sort of corroborating evidence. In effect, if you haven't got a video, don't bother. Makes me feel like my efforts as a concerned citizen reporting wrongdoing is not worth the while, and that the Met just don't want to know.

On the other hand, of course, this implies that they will be pursuing more cases to prosecution if there is a video attached, meaning they are intending to put more weight on video evidence. I have little doubt that someone like Mr Loophole would get anyone off a charge supported by an amateur video, so it's a different law for the rich and the poor, but at least it is a step in the right direction.

whitebait

I've not heard anything back (beyond what appears to be a template/auto response) regarding the two videos I've submitted to roadsafe:

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HveNAGOJKk[/media]

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr1ZJ2LUaA8&feature=related[/media]

Do they let you know if they don't intend to take it further? Is there a way to monitor what they're planning on doing if you have the reference number from them?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You won't often get back to you but you can chase them up to see what they did. They might throw a few DPA things at you.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I think not having any real feedback is one of the big criticisms of Roadsafe, and one they could easily address. One feedback that is useful is when a driver comments on their video - it can be very satisfying. One recent one is where the driver pulled out on Ian in New Cross on our way to meet up with threefingerjoe on the Sunday London ride.

BSRU

A Human Being
Amen to that. As I read this thread I am sure I recall another thread about RLJing cyclists and how many people were "green lighting it".

I do not recall many people "green lighting" red light jumping by cyclists.

Are you suggesting not using RoadSafe because it's not used for reporting RLJ'ing cyclists.

Isn't that throwing the baby out with the bath water?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I do not recall many people "green lighting" red light jumping by cyclists.

Are you suggesting not using RoadSafe because it's not used for reporting RLJ'ing cyclists.

Isn't that throwing the baby out with the bath water?

Not at all. I am simply agreeing with totalyfixed that we should put our own house in order first.

whitebait

Amen to that. As I read this thread I am sure I recall another thread about RLJing cyclists and how many people were "green lighting it".

I don't agree with cyclists RLJing at all. I believe their behaviour reflects badly on all cyclists. However, I believe that there is a difference in the potential physical damage/harm of a car going through a red compared to a cyclist. Plus, apart from cops waiting for RLJing cyclists at the other side of junctions there's no other way of catching them. Unless of course we get number plates and all that that entails. I may just forward Gaz the videos for the next instalment of silly cyclists... :smile:

BSRU

A Human Being
Not at all. I am simply agreeing with totalyfixed that we should put our own house in order first.

And how are "we" going to do that, even with a very clear mug shot it would still be extremely difficult and time consuming to identify a cyclist.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
And how are "we" going to do that, even with a very clear mug shot it would still be extremely difficult and time consuming to identify a cyclist.

Easiest way is to simply present a united front against such action. I appreciate it would be infinitely harder to police that RLJing cars but if they are classed as the outcasts it goes some way to getting back into motorists god books. Well I think it does.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf

If I could shop cyclists, then I would. Better not go through a red light in front of me eh?

Anyway, since I'm not employed to do this, what do other offences I may or may not see have anything to do with car drivers going through red lights? What do other cyclists have to do with me, and why should I deal with their behaviour before I look to motons that richly deserve prosecution?

BSRU

A Human Being
Easiest way is to simply present a united front against such action. I appreciate it would be infinitely harder to police that RLJing cars but if they are classed as the outcasts it goes some way to getting back into motorists god books. Well I think it does.

The problem with that is that many people just will not give a sh1t as they do not perceive what they are doing is wrong.

Top Bottom