Catch a driver going through red on video?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
At least that do give a shoot will see a united front from some quarters.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
If I could shop cyclists, then I would. Better not go through a red light in front of me eh?

Anyway, since I'm not employed to do this, what do other offences I may or may not see have anything to do with car drivers going through red lights? What do other cyclists have to do with me, and why should I deal with their behaviour before I look to motons that richly deserve prosecution?

If you are not employed to do this, why shop anyone?

Origamist

Legendary Member
It strikes me that Roadsafe must be pretty overwhelmed with reports (unsurprising, given the poor standard of driving in London). They have been narrowing the window of what they are prepared to deal with. Some are regarded as not worth writing to the offender, and others have been rejected because they are too serious!

On Friday, I received an email basically saying that, because of the number of denials they have received from offenders, they won't bother pursuing unless there is some sort of corroborating evidence. In effect, if you haven't got a video, don't bother. Makes me feel like my efforts as a concerned citizen reporting wrongdoing is not worth the while, and that the Met just don't want to know.

On the other hand, of course, this implies that they will be pursuing more cases to prosecution if there is a video attached, meaning they are intending to put more weight on video evidence. I have little doubt that someone like Mr Loophole would get anyone off a charge supported by an amateur video, so it's a different law for the rich and the poor, but at least it is a step in the right direction.
In addition, if you do upload a vid of a poor overtake, hook etc, don't title it "shoot manoover by spotty boy racer" or add comments that could be construed as insulting as the Met will not bother to pursue it.

whitebait

Origamist

Legendary Member
What about the comments of others?

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RLlYEhReFw[/media]

Haven't submitted this one to Roadsafe but there's some rather unkind comments on there...

I'm not sure about the comments made by others on the vid, but I suspect "classy bird" might fall foul of Roadsafe's guidelines. You could always ask them what is considered acceptable.

I (generally) use a different account for RoadSafe uploads and they are password protected with the comments section disabled. I usually title the vid with the location and date/time only.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
If you are not employed to do this, why shop anyone?

Because I want to make a difference to the safety of other cyclists, and myself. RLJing cyclists don't present much of a direct risk to me or others, and even the indirect risk they present is diffuse and small, that being via the general bad attitude the poorer drivers have towards all cyclists.

Drivers, OTOH, present a huge risk to cyclists, especially that small subset of drivers who take chances. I'd suggest that the vast majority of good and careful drivers almost never appear on headcam cyclists' youtube channels. Bringing consequences to the bad ones via the thousands of cyclists out there is making a sea change to driver behaviour.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
./;
Because I want to make a difference to the safety of other cyclists, and myself. RLJing cyclists don't present much of a direct risk to me or others, and even the indirect risk they present is diffuse and small, that being via the general bad attitude the poorer drivers have towards all cyclists.

Drivers, OTOH, present a huge risk to cyclists, especially that small subset of drivers who take chances. I'd suggest that the vast majority of good and careful drivers almost never appear on headcam cyclists' youtube channels. Bringing consequences to the bad ones via the thousands of cyclists out there is making a sea change to driver behaviour.

I feel that the one law for us one for them attitude is one of the reasons cyclists get a bad name.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I feel that the one law for us one for them attitude is one of the reasons cyclists get a bad name.

And that's another statement of yours that's completely irrelevant to anything on this topic, much less anything I've said. Who implied anything of the sort? How does shopping one dangerous incident relate at all to police treatment of other law breaking such as ticketing cyclists who RLJ?

Did you miss this bit from an earlier post?

If I could shop cyclists, then I would. Better not go through a red light in front of me eh?

...and this bit:

Am I responsible for other cyclists going through reds? Why should I put them in order before the much more dangerous behaviour of motorists? I'm not condoning the cyclists, and I would shop them if I could. Besides, I've done my fair share of trying to shame the bad cyclists too.

BSRU

A Human Being
At least that do give a shoot will see a united front from some quarters.

The only thing that will really stop RLJ cyclists is a genuine fear of being caught and fined.

If someone whizzes past you while you waiting at a red light they have already shown they don't give a sh1t what you think.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The only thing that will really stop RLJ cyclists is a genuine fear of being caught and fined.

If someone whizzes past you while you waiting at a red light they have already shown they don't give a sh1t what you think.

...exactly the same and only thing that is likely to stop RLJing car drivers.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
And that's another statement of yours that's completely irrelevant to anything on this topic, much less anything I've said. Who implied anything of the sort? How does shopping one dangerous incident relate at all to police treatment of other law breaking such as ticketing cyclists who RLJ?

Did you miss this bit from an earlier post?

...and this bit:

So when you say :

There is no implication at all that is is better for cyclists to RLJ than cars. If you were a car driver reporting other cars it would make more sense. Your attitude is more lenient towards cyclists as you are one. My view is that all RLJing is equally as bad. If a bike is hit by a car whilst doing it think of the impact that will have on the innocent drivers life.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
No, you misread me. I get to choose what I put forward to complain about to the police. I choose the more dangerous incidents I see, partly because they are more dangerous, and partly because I can't do much about the cyclists, who are considerably less dangerous anyway.

Did you miss the several recent topics where someone has posted about police waiting to catch RLJing cyclists, and I asked that they remove the location from their posts? What does that tell you about how I feel about RLJers?

Most all of the bias is yours, in your mind alone.

Top Bottom