Catch a driver going through red on video?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
No, you misread me. I get to choose what I put forward to complain about to the police. I choose the more dangerous incidents I see, partly because they are more dangerous, and partly because I can't do much about the cyclists, who are considerably less dangerous anyway.

Did you miss the several recent topics where someone has posted about police waiting to catch RLJing cyclists, and I asked that they remove the location from their posts? What does that tell you about how I feel about RLJers?

Most all of the bias is yours, in your mind alone.

I clearly did miss that yes. I am pleased you did what you did and I apologies as I clearly misread you intentions.

I agree cyclists are less dangerous than cars when they RLJ but the physiological damage a car driver may suffer is also something that need to be taken into consideration by some (obviously not you).

Think I should stay away fro the forum for a while as I am clearly not myself.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Angelfish, how do you justify suggesting that we ignore motorists jumping red lights? Isn't that terribly biased and very TRL549?

I am not suggesting that. I think all RLJ should be treated equally.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oh, but that's not what you said earlier: you said we should ignore all motorists jumping red lights, until we put our own house in order.

Of course there is no "own house" since we're all individuals. We're not members of the same family, the same club, the same village or city, and are mostly not connected at all, in any way outside of just happening to use a bicycle.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Oh, but that's not what you said earlier: you said we should ignore all motorists jumping red lights, until we put our own house in order.

Of course there is no "own house" since we're all individuals. We're not members of the same family, the same club, the same village or city, and are mostly not connected at all, in any way outside of just happening to use a bicycle.

Please quote where I said "Ignore all car RLJers" please. All RLJ's should be treated equally. I feel that a cyclist reporting a cyclist carries more weight than a cyclist reporting a driver.

As for "putting our own house in order It was a phrase used by totallyfixed. Take it up with him.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Don't be weaselling out of it now. You said "Amen to that" on totally fixed suggesting that we should first sort out all cyclists RLJing before we looked at motorist RLJing.

Next question - I take it you're the sort of bloke, having been stopped by the police for some random but perceived by you minor offence, to complain about them not catching real criminals, or dealing with a chap that just drove past speeding. That's pretty much what you're doing here, because you don't like one bit of lawbreaking being dealt with, instead you want someone to deal with another bit elsewhere.

I get the motorists on video, the police choose to prosecute them. If you don't like it, why don't you go do something about the cyclists jumping red lights? The obvious and easy conclusion is that you don't care that much about cyclists jumping red lights, and care more about helping motorists to avoid prosecution.

I am very critical of cyclists RLJing, but Newton's Laws tell us that an RLJing motorist is much more significant and dangerous than an RLJing cyclist. And the KSI stats back this up. If there were a practicable way of reporting cyclists breaking the law, I'd report them. As it is, I report motorists breaking the law because they are monstrously dangerous and the mechanism exists because of that.

I shall have to stick to ridiculing RLJing cyclists, and catching them when the lights turn green.

What do you do about offending cyclists, Angelfish?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Don't be weaselling out of it now. You said "Amen to that" on totally fixed suggesting that we should first sort out all cyclists RLJing before we looked at motorist RLJing.

Next question - I take it you're the sort of bloke, having been stopped by the police for some random but perceived by you minor offence, to complain about them not catching real criminals, or dealing with a chap that just drove past speeding. That's pretty much what you're doing here, because you don't like one bit of lawbreaking being dealt with, instead you want someone to deal with another bit elsewhere.

I get the motorists on video, the police choose to prosecute them. If you don't like it, why don't you go do something about the cyclists jumping red lights? The obvious and easy conclusion is that you don't care that much about cyclists jumping red lights, and care more about helping motorists to avoid prosecution.
You have me so very wrong. I have never told the police that they should have something better to do.
What part of all RLJ is equal do you not understand?
BTW why not have a dig at totalyfixed for his use of "holier than thou"?
If drivers are to respect us we need to be seen to condem the actions of cyclists before drives (assuming the outcome of the offence is the same).

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I am very critical of cyclists RLJing, but Newton's Laws tell us that an RLJing motorist is much more significant and dangerous than an RLJing cyclist. And the KSI stats back this up. If there were a practicable way of reporting cyclists breaking the law, I'd report them. As it is, I report motorists breaking the law because they are monstrously dangerous and the mechanism exists because of that.

I shall have to stick to ridiculing RLJing cyclists, and catching them when the lights turn green.

What do you do about offending cyclists, Angelfish?
As I do not live in a City I do not see this behaviour. When I have I have shouted out at them. Now I am doing more roadriding and have a cam I will pass on the any footage to sillycyclists and to the police. I am also proactive in that I teach road cycling to Bikeabiiity L3.
I am also pretty certain Newtonian Law does not take into account the effect that a car hitting a cyclist who has RLJed would have on the driver.

Good that you are doing Bikeability training. I guess that your students should be clear about the law by the time they are done, and that is a great thing.

I don't see why, though, motorised danger should not be reported just because it's more difficult to report a bike. It's all wrong.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Good that you are doing Bikeability training. I guess that your students should be clear about the law by the time they are done, and that is a great thing.

I don't see why, though, motorised danger should not be reported just because it's more difficult to report a bike. It's all wrong.
I'm saying all RLJing should be reported. Am emphasis should be put on cyclists if filmed by cyclists to show car drivers we are not all Wayne Kers.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I agree cyclists are less dangerous than cars when they RLJ but the physiological damage a car driver may suffer is also something that need to be taken into consideration by some (obviously not you).

All RLJ's should be treated equally.

I'm going to assume that you meant to say "psychological" damage there.

Given that the potential psychological damage a not-at-fault road user might suffer in a collision is pretty much the same no matter who's in a car or on a bike or on a pogo stick, and that someone in collision with an RLJing car is additionally more likely suffer to physical damage than with a cyclist, it seems to me that infractions by motor vehicle drivers are (on the whole and in general) more serious and should be treated more seriously. But it seems you disagree?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You can't report a cyclist to the police as there is no way to identify the vehicle or rider.
Perhaps we should have numberplates?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
[/size]

[/size]

I'm going to assume that you meant to say "psychological" damage there.

Given that the potential psychological damage a not-at-fault road user might suffer in a collision is pretty much the same no matter who's in a car or on a bike or on a pogo stick, and that someone in collision with an RLJing car is additionally more likely suffer to physical damage than with a cyclist, it seems to me that infractions by motor vehicle drivers are (on the whole and in general) more serious and should be treated more seriously. But it seems you disagree?

I agree with you that all non fault collusions carry psychological damage to the innocent party. My point is that by saying cyclists are less dangerous than cars we are alienating ourselves from our desired integration and acceptance.

Top Bottom