Catch a driver going through red on video?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Wayhay my mental health now brought into question. Is it any wonder that articles about injured cyclist collect such distasteful comments from drivers when miitant, arrogant, untouchables like you exist.

I have said nothing to question your mental state. If you want to accuse me of doing that I am however quite prepared to bring your reading comprehension into question.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
When did all this "we must 'all' behave ourselves or we get a bad name" start? It's absolute bollocks, no other group feels the need to see themselves in this meek, "we're big boys now" kind of way. It's pathetic, if someone breaks the law, they've broke the law. It's simple.

Did it start with the so called 'mamil' movement?

Yeah, I totally don't get it. By Angelfish's argument, he, and all of us, are somewhat responsible for taypet's bad riding. We should sort taypet and the others out before we have any right to deal with motorists.

What about this motorist, Angelfishsolo?

View: http://youtu.be/SKB9V7MNEXY

By your logic, we simply have to accept this kind of behaviour as what we deserve until cyclists stop causing so much trouble with motorists and clean up our act.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
So remind me, why do you think cyclists should sort each other out long before anyone looks at drivers? I've yet to see any cogent argument on it from you. Is that really a reasonable point of view?
Why do you think cyclists are somehow less accountable to the law?
I believe breaking a law is breaking a law no matter who breaks it and those who break it should be treated equally.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Why do you think cyclists are somehow less accountable to the law?
I believe breaking a law is breaking a law no matter who breaks it and those who break it should be treated equally.

I've never said that. You've said we should ignore drivers breaking the law, and first deal with cyclists. Is that us cyclists specifically, or society and the police as a whole?

Dan B

Disengaged member
Yeah, I totally don't get it. By Angelfish's argument, he, and all of us, are somewhat responsible for taypet's bad riding. We should sort taypet and the others out before we have any right to deal with motorists.

Thing is, I'm not sure if this "put your own house in order" thing extends to all cyclists or just to some of them. For example, what about unicyclists - I've never ridden one on the road in my life, should I worry about RLJing unicyclists before I can disapprove of badly behaved motorists? Ditto for recumbents, really: my entire 'bent riding experience was up and down Brighton sea front. And I haven't been on a BMX since I was 15, do I have to clear up their act too?

Dan B

Disengaged member
"One ball short of a bearing" has other meanings does it fella.

Read the rest of the sentence: "anyone who wants to deny that cyclists are less dangerous than cars". Does the description fit you? Since you'd previously written "I agree cyclists are less dangerous than cars" then unless you have changed your mind about that in the following two pages, the description "one ball short of a bearing" must therefore relate to other people not you.

Is that clear enough?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Read the rest of the sentence: "anyone who wants to deny that cyclists are less dangerous than cars". Does the description fit you? Since you'd previously written "I agree cyclists are less dangerous than cars" then unless you have changed your mind about that in the following two pages, the description "one ball short of a bearing" must therefore relate to other people not you.

Is that clear enough?
My humble appologies. You were questioning Mikes mental health.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
OK Angelfish, I'll stop being harsh on you. I was just pushing your buttons, to try and see how long you'd attempt to defend an obviously unsustainable point of view. Sorry if I made you paranoid enough to misinterpret Dan's post that much.

But yes, you agreed with totallyfixed on how we shouldn't be looking at car RLJing until we first sorted out our own act. That's implying you think we should be ignoring cars until cyclists are gold standard and have no more offences.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
OK Angelfish, I'll stop being harsh on you. I was just pushing your buttons, to try and see how long you'd attempt to defend an obviously unsustainable point of view. Sorry if I made you paranoid enough to misinterpret Dan's post that much.

But yes, you agreed with totallyfixed on how we shouldn't be looking at car RLJing until we first sorted out our own act. That's implying you think we should be ignoring cars until cyclists are gold standard and have no more offences.
Didn't I say first does not mean to the exclusion of all other. BTW you must be so boared to pick an argument for the hell of it. I feel sorry for you.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Didn't I say first does not mean to the exclusion of all other. BTW you must be so boared to pick an argument for the hell of it. I feel sorry for you.

No, that was a later modification to your original more hard line thoughts.

The bigger picture is that even if us cyclists "pick on" cars jumping red lights, it's only a good thing for us and for society. The police can carry on doing their work sorting out all sets of road users. There's no need to be negative about anyone reporting misdeeds to the police, just as no-one other than taypet complained about your reporting him.

Top Bottom