Catch yerself on lady - !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Cycling home from work last week on one of the dedicated cycle paths provided by our nice council in our fair city when a lass in a car suddenly tried to cut me off when she decided to turn left immediately in front of me. :wacko: When she realised that I wasn't going to give way to her on MY cycle path, she was forced to stop. :okay: I yelled 'Tosspot, cyclepath - !' and carried on whilst she looked at me rather meekly - ! :rofl:

carpiste

Guru
She made a mistake and corrected it. No one was hurt, no damage caused.
So you shouted at a lone woman and made her feel scared. Yes, very brave.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Not exactly the same scenario, but....

near where I live, there is a shared pedestrian/cycle route, which crosses a road at. a "T" junction. There is a zebra crossing with cycle lane makings at this crossing point. I have noticed, if I am walking this route, drivers will invariably stop at the crossing (as they should), if, however, I am cycling, the same route, at the same crossing, drivers are much less likely to stop.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There is a zebra crossing with cycle lane makings at this crossing point. I have noticed, if I am walking this route, drivers will invariably stop at the crossing (as they should), if, however, I am cycling, the same route, at the same crossing, drivers are much less likely to stop.
Well, what do you expect? Cycle-zebras were only added to the law five years ago, have yet to appear in the Highway Code and many motorists haven't read the Code since getting their driving licence, let alone kept up to date with the law or just having the basic human decency to give way to more vulnerable road users than themselves...

I'd put CCTV on most crossings where walkers or cyclists have priority over motorists and let image recognition spot idiots bullying people off the crossing with number plate reading used to ultimately issue a ticket or prosecution notice.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I've shouted worse when I've been left-hooked and I've subsequently reported the driver. It turned out she was a lone female too but what does that matter when adrenaline and fear results in a reactive outburst? If any driver doesn't want to feel scared by a response then don't scare others with your car.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Cycling home from work last week on one of the dedicated cycle paths provided by our nice council in our fair city when a lass in a car suddenly tried to cut me off when she decided to turn left immediately in front of me. :wacko: When she realised that I wasn't going to give way to her on MY cycle path, she was forced to stop. :okay: I yelled 'Tosspot, cyclepath - !' and carried on whilst she looked at me rather meekly - ! :rofl:

If I was the dufus car driver, in this case ,who fluffed such a manouvre, or wasn't paying proper attention, and scared a cyclist like that.

Then I'd not really feel that having

"Tosspot psychopath" directed at me as an admonishment was particularly out of order or very threatening.

Particularly if it was over the shoulder as they proceeded on their way, and it didn't feel like they were coming for me in a threatening way.

I'd kind of think 'fairplay' after I'd got over my initial shock.

I've expleted far worse at inconsiderate drivers.

And I'm a usually politely spoken laydee cyclist..

davidphilips

Veteran
Nothing unusual about a driver cutting in front of a cyclist just to turn left or worse brakes, my view is if a cyclist shouts at the driver the driver deserved it as they put the cyclists health/life in danger.

My own way is just to give a friendly wave or carry on as if nothing happened as i dont want to get involved in any unpleasantness, plus as cyclists are very vulnerable, if the driver happens to be on drugs or some thing then a rather unpleasant day could follow? Always find it easier to avoid conflict than get out of it.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Nothing unusual about a driver cutting in front of a cyclist just to turn left or worse brakes, my view is if a cyclist shouts at the driver the driver deserved it as they put the cyclists health/life in danger.

My own way is just to give a friendly wave or carry on as if nothing happened as i dont want to get involved in any unpleasantness, plus as cyclists are very vulnerable, if the driver happens to be on drugs or some thing then a rather unpleasant day could follow? Always find it easier to avoid conflict than get out of it.

Good for you..
In some cases I'll give an exaggerated

"No no after you"

wave if I can gather the resources.

Otherwise a few strong words expressed, that I don't even expect to be audible, to the driver, can help to dispel the tension arising from a near miss..

T4tomo

Guru
You mean she looked, saw you (albeit a bit late) and gave way ....

Seems to me that there are 2 interpretation to this

if the OP looked at the car that was being driven without due care and attention - and then looked at the driver, realised it was a woman and the HE selected and made a comment with slight sexual overtones
That that is wrong

however, I would say that level of deep thought under this circumstances is unlikely and he would probably have behaved the same if Drago was driving

I actually had a very similar experience yesterday - coming home the cycle path crosses the entrance to the local council depot very close to a roundabout - and a car was coming off the roundabout and turned right into the depot.
Given that it is clearly a cycle path and I wear hi-vis etc etc the driver had clearly just only looked for cars on the road
I tend to be over defensive - I could have carried on and forced the car to stop but I managed to stop quickly (rear wheel actually skidded) and raised my arms in a gesture of exasperation
At which point I realised that the driver was a woman who was looking a bit sheepish - and then carried on with an embarrassed wave

Was she scared??
dunno
should I be worried??

Top Bottom