Cateye Cycle Mirror - Initial Thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldy

Über Member
Interesting, having arthritis in the neck/shoulders having a mirror could be helpful. Do they do other brackets/fittings? As the bar end ones wouldn't work on my bike as I have butterfly bars.

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

Interesting, having arthritis in the neck/shoulders having a mirror could be helpful. Do they do other brackets/fittings? As the bar end ones wouldn't work on my bike as I have butterfly bars.

These Cateye ones came with a bar end fixing only, no additional brackets. The Zefal one appears to be the same.

I can only suggest either searching Amazon or the likes of Chain Reaction/Wiggle etc for other options that would be suitable.

In no way am I suggesting mirrors replace shoulder checks. Those exist for a reason. I am suggesting it as an aid to enhance visibility and awareness.

This is just to be able glance and see whats happening further back, how far is the traffic, how quick is it approaching etc all the things to allow to plan ahead in good time.
You don't quite get the same view as car and motorbike mirrors though so I find them less useful for detailed observation and more for general awareness. Also the one i have is only good for one position, on the hoods. Other positions, drops, tops, block the view or require some head titlting and it's just as easy to glance back or through your arms/legs. Finally, you can't lean your bike anywhere because you'll move the mirrors, hence me buying the fold in/out one. If they work for you though, then fair enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: DSK

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Like most things it depends how much you use them. On a recumbent where the position makes it night on impossible to look over your shoulder; constantly monitoring the mirror allows you to always know what is behind and further back. Cars do not appear there by magic. Checking mirrors again as you approach an obstacle where you'll have to move out helps as well. Don't do what many do and only check when they are on top of the obstacle. Something many car drivers also do and end up stuck as their attempted move was last minute.

C R

Guru
There are zefal ones that have a sort of zip tie attachment, so you can position them freely. My experience with those wasn't good, but there are other people who are happy with them.

Scaleyback

Veteran
DSK, I have the ‘Mirrycle’ cycle mirror (Amazon have them) I have used this mirror on a flat bar hybrid and currently have it on my ‘drop bar’ road bike.
It is not ideal on a drop bar bike as my arm can sometimes block my rear view.
However it is no ‘big deal’ as with a slight head movement I can get an excellent rear view. Very little vibration and it is the best cycling mirror I have used.
I also have a Gamin Vario radar light https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/04/garmin-varia-rtl510-radar-cycling-light-in-depth-review.html
This is a pricy gadget but I wouldn’t ride without it now. I am 72 and very aware if I get ‘decked’ I don’t bounce anymore. The Garmin Vario is not really suited to
heavy traffic conditions as the constant notification ‘bleeps’ will be a nuisance.
I ride on mainly rural roads and the Garmin is a brilliant safety device.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have used a mirror for many years. All my bikes and the trike have mirrors and I regard them as essential. I cycle a lot on single track roads where I check for overtaking traffic and adjust speed accordingly to avoid actually stopping in passing places. I tried a cateye one but found it pretty useless. Can’t remember what I currently have but apart from the trike and Brompton they all fold for indoor storage.

Mrs M

Guru
675E1709-A9CD-462F-807D-40C2A1C28AE1.jpeg
My wee recently purchased Zefal Spy mirror is just perfect :okay:
Small and manoeuvrable, also easy to fit and remove, and inexpensive too, does the job.

C R

Guru
View attachment 485313 My wee recently purchased Zefal Spy mirror is just perfect :okay:
Small and manoeuvrable, also easy to fit and remove, and inexpensive too, does the job.
That's the one I was talking about further up. It didn't work for me, but it does work for other people, so worth a try.

Top Bottom