Cateye Cycle Mirror - Initial Thoughts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSK

During my first proper ride (returning after many years) I found myself constantly looking over my shoulder even on long straights only to see whats going on behind, how much traffic there is, when will it catch me etc. In the car and the motorbike, I check my mirrors every few seconds to help paint a picture of whats going on behind and potentially at the sides at all times. This was not possible on the bicycle.

So I looked around for some bike mirrors and decided to give the Cateye mirrors a go having read through customer reviews on these and others, buying from Amazon knowing that if they don't work the return is easy and hassle free.

I have only ever seen the odd cycle around with either a helmet mirror or something very large like a motorbike mirror poking from the handle bars. So just thought I'd share my initial thoughts after a 3 mile test ride.

Firstly, its easily to install, just push it in and tighten the allen screw with the allen key provided. I think 1 mirror is about £8.99 with Prime.

I wasn't expecting much, assuming it would be one of those things that sound good but, do not work in reality. However, I was wrong, These mirrors are actually useful (to me anyway). I set them up in the driveway and out on the road, allowed me, at a glance to see whats going on behind, allowing me to keep more focused and plan ahead much more easily. The view isn't obscured by legs, I was able to plan ahead much more easily as I do in the car/motorcycle. My knees have plenty of room between them and the mirrors so they don't get knocked. Aesthetically, in my opinion, they don't look like something out of space has stuck itself to my bike.

Well worth considering/trying for yourself if you ride on the road.

48731445826_7808b26784_z.jpg

48733544452_e6fd6e8c22_z.jpg

48733544427_f4e38e3448_z.jpg

boydj

Legendary Member
I think you'll find mudguards more useful for a winter commute.

I did try similar may years ago, but I found the mirror more distracting than useful.

Trying to change focus to see what's in the mirror was more difficult than looking behind. Your ears give you info on what's immediately behind and a look gives you more info on what's happening further back. Even in the car I do a shoulder check before changing lanes because there is always the chance of missing something in the mirror.

Sharky

Guru
I am considering a mirror because of difficulty turning my neck as much as I used to following vertebrae fusion last year. This mirror might be suitable.
Similarly, I used them following a broken collarbone, which made it difficult turning my head. They help to know when NOT to move out, but cannot be relied on to know when it is safe.
Found myself stopping by the curb and making sure it was safe.

As I recovered, flexability returned and the mirror came off.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I know two people who use these. On group rides one never says anything the other calls "car back" earlier than anyone else so it's clearly giving him more notice. I also know a few people who have a device mounted on the seat post which puts an audible alert through to their Garmin when a car is approaching from behind.

I've considered both options but feel it's not for me. The Garmin beep I probably wouldn't hear and the mirror is not for me. Two reasons for this. Firstly if I'm taking the correct riding line I'm not going to alter my position for a driver approaching from the rear, this is potentially dangerous. Second if I need to manoeuvre I shoulder check first, indicate and if the situation is tight look sufficient times to allow the driver behind to understand I want to move out.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I've used a bicycle mirror for at least a decade, and find it a useful tool. It's no different to using a car mirror: you get used to looking at it, but never rely on it 100%. I use a Zefal Spy mirror mounted on the right handlebar just behind the brake hood.

Globalti

Legendary Member
What about those tiny helmet mirrors? They seem more popular in the USA for some reason but I've tried one and they're pretty good.

Skanker

I have mirrors on my recumbent trike as it’s impossible to look behind without them, but not on my uprights.
I have cheap ones too, the Keirin cycle mirrors off eBay, they do the job just fine as they are not used much anyway.
Car and motorcycle mirrors have to be better quality as they are used much more often and for more important tasks like overtaking, but I think you can get away with cheaper ones on your bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
Lord, your saddle is very high compared to the bars! Is it the right size and are you very flexible. I'd be more worried about seeing the road ahead without getting a crick neck than behind. Shoulder check must be awkward with head so low?

If they work for you then all is good, just don't come to rely on them without shoulder checking as that movement also signals to drivers behind that you may be about to move out, ..................….well it does to the ones that are looking.

I fitted a Zefal Spin so I can just fold it out the way when I'm not using it, which is most of the time. There are occasions when I do use it, fast roads, shite conditions, when the wind is so strong I can't hear traffic, riding with others etc... but it's no substitute for a shoulder check, always shoulder check if you possibly can.

Reactions: C R
D

Deleted member 26715

I find ignorance is bliss, if they are going to kill me by hitting me from behind I'd rather not know about it, all other circumstances a shoulder check is the way to go.

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

In no way am I suggesting mirrors replace shoulder checks. Those exist for a reason. I am suggesting it as an aid to enhance visibility and awareness.

This is just to be able glance and see whats happening further back, how far is the traffic, how quick is it approaching etc all the things to allow to plan ahead in good time.

Top Bottom