Cats..what to do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
You can buy ultrasonic cat scarers that are easier to throw than slabs. Colleagues report that they are very effective.

A couple of years back, a local cat took an entire brood of young swallows as soon as they hatched from a nest in an open garage in our street. It was heartbreaking to see and this year the swallows returned to the same nest. No way was I going to let the little ginger bar$tard do it again, so I bought one of these ultrasonic things. A bit awkward as it's not my garage but the owners were fine about it - even if they think I'm bonkers (it's not their cat either). Anyway, it has worked brilliantly so far- no sign of the murderous cat, and the swallows seem happy enough so far, with young safely hatched. Fingers crossed theyll fledge safely. Anyway, it's working v. well and I would definately recommend this device.

compo

Veteran
So long as you have a tall fence I can hire you a greyhound or two on a daily basis relatively cheap. Will kill or cure your cat problem depending on the fitness of the cats in question. Having said that the hounds are prolific shitters as well :laugh:

I had a lurcher. We used to hunt rabbits. He hated cats with a passion. I told one of my neighbours to keep her cat out of my garden. She didn't, and my dog killed the cat.

He had a soft side as well. Blackbirds made a nest in a bush and he was intrigued. He would spend hours with his nose in the bush watching the babies. The parent birds became accustomed to him and just ignored him. He guarded those birds against cats, day and night, for weeks until the babies flew away. Then he kept looking for them for a few days!

Maz

Guru
get some geese
Yebbut then you'll need a fox to kill the goose, then you need a cheetah to kill the fox. Before you know it you'll have the RSPCA round and you end up in jail. It's not worth the hassle, I should know.

Dayvo's got the right idea...water-gun.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
shrunk bertie.JPG
I'm sure that my Bertie would be delighted to assist. His love of tennis balls is only matched by his hatred of all things feline and most other small mammals faintly smaller than himself.

Super Soakers are good and fun, BTW. For added deterrence, (heh, heh:evil:) fill the reservoir with a 90/10 mix of water and washing-up liquid. The latter tastes vile....and cats lick their fur.....:thumbsup:

Here's Bertie.

EDIT: Sorry Spinney, you beat me to it regards washing up liquid. I was slacking at the back of the class. I'll give myself a detention

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Think that may be a bit over the top,^_^
derrick, if they come over the top of my fence, it's a free-fire zone...:hyper:

Globalti

Legendary Member
The simple, sensible answer is to get your own cat. It will defend its territory and crap elsewhere. You might get woken by the occasional night time fight but it will work. No neighbour's cat craps in our garden and any that do come our way will sneak past the end of the garden looking nervously towards our house.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I understand your problem and I would suggest getting a cat repellent and spraying it on the plants they tend to go for. The cats will be sat there for ages just sniffing and give you time to boil the kettle and scold the little buggers.

I have a cat too and love the little smelly thing. But she never goes to the toilet in the litter tray in the house. She must always go outside or in a neighbours garden. How do you know it isnt my cat? She must get about if it is.

asterix

Comrade Member
Logically someone needs to invent a toilet for pets!

After all, we humans have devised elaborate methods for sewage disposal but only for ourselves. We then go out and get pets and frequently make no provision for their excretory needs. Imagine what it must have been like before Mr Crapper had his idea! Positively medieval..

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
I had a lurcher. We used to hunt rabbits. He hated cats with a passion. I told one of my neighbours to keep her cat out of my garden. She didn't, and my dog killed the cat.

How can someone stop their cat from going into someone's garden - aside from forcing it to be a house cat? :huh:

I know my dog would kill a cat and we have 2 at either side and 2 at the back of us. I'd be gutted if she did get hold of one. The dog had only been with us a day or two - the cats soon knew to keep themselves well out of the way although one of them does try and run the gauntlet across the shed roof now and again.

Back to Ian's problem. Pre-Ellie, we had the cat shoot problem too. To be honest, I tried loads of things including water, sonic repellents, smell deterrents blah blah blah. Nothing seemed to work.

Top Bottom